1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg 410hlf worth getting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mandobear, Oct 4, 2010.

1. mandobear

mandobear

Dec 16, 2008
    hi all. I currently play through an avatar b212 cab and I came across an opportunity to buy a 410hlf classic from craigslist. Is it worth getting? I use a mark bass lmII sansamp bassdriver and ibanez sr505 and I read that the 410hlf is good for 5 stringers but I do love that mid range punch tone which I seem to have trouble getting with my current setup. When I dial in the tone I like, it activates the safety shut off in my lmII after about 15minutes of playing. I shouldn't have this problem with the ampeg right? And if I do end up getting it based on your opinions could I drill in casters to the bottom without damaging anything?

2. I recently got a new 410hlf and absolutely love it, couldnt recommend it highly enough. Although it really depends on what you want...the 410hlf has huge bottom end (which i love) and i also hear that it handles 5er's really well, couldnt tell you from personal experience, but i can imagine it would..it makes a great standalone 410...

As for the casters, the 410hlf has 2 wheels and a towelrack on it already, just tilt it back and off you go..

Whatever you decide, id try it out for yourself first if possible..while it's right up my alley, it may not be your kinda thing, and you won't know for sure untill you test it out.

All the best, Dave.

3. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

The 410hlf gets an incredible amount of lows.

However, it's also somewhat mid-scooped. If you have trouble getting mids now, getting the 410hlf might not really help the situation.

4. i love mine. I'm used to the low end it has now and playing through other less low-endy cabs sounds wrong to me. :)

5. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I had one for two years. I let mine go due to the mid scoop that the cab inherently has. The lows were great but I always felt like the notes were just too loose for me. I really wanted to like it.

6. mandobear

mandobear

Dec 16, 2008
    based on the opinions that it has a noticeable mid scoop I think I will let it pass. I also went to my local guitar center during my lunch break to play it with a mark bass amp but dammit the customer service sucks so bad. I waited almost 20 minutes for someone then I just left. Another reason I feel I should pass it up is it's design. I'm a tall guy at 6'4" and I would practically have to bend myself at a 90 degree angle to tilt it and roll it around which is why I asked if I can add 4 casters. I'm thinking I should keep saving for a 6x10 or 8x10

7. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Also, take to mind on whether you want a ported cab or a sealed. The Ampeg 610 is ported, and the 810 sealed. Different sounds, I'm really liking my sealed cab right now but I'm going to pickup a ported box to have the option.

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The 410HLF is one of my favorite cabs. You should play it first. I use it with GK heads, but I don't feel that it is mid shy at all, and it seems to be pretty flat sounding to me. At least it doesn't boom/bloom as you work towards the open E. It's super loud for a single cab as well.

9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

The frequency response chart of the 410HLF was posted here several months back. It's seriously scooped.

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That may be, but it sounds good to a lot of people. No one said scooped is bad. Many people like a scooped sound, use contour knobs on amps that cut mids, bump bass and treble on amps, etc. He is just going to have to see if that is what he likes.
    Wes

11. luvpbass

luvpbass

Sep 18, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The 4x10 HE or SVT with the classic badge is sealed and has nice, punchy, solid tone. I recently rented one for an outdoor show to pair with the one I own and OMG!:eek: it sounded better than anything I've ever played through. talk about melting your face. 8 10s in two cabs with a pair of adjustable horns just sounds awesome. my head was a sansamp rbi driving a carvin dcm that put out 1k watts at 4 ohms. of course it was an opener for a major artist, so there were roadies to haul it in and out of our truck. I' don't know if I could handle hauling both those cabs around for the bread and butter shows we do at the vfw, festivals and the like. but talk about music to my ears.

12. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I didn't say that was a bad thing. Whether a scooped sound is good or bad depends on the musical context.

However, the OP said that he likes a lot of mid range, and he's already having trouble getting as much as he'd like. Given that, while a good cab the 410HLF may be, it might not really be the right cab for the OP's purposes.

13. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Yes exactly, even though I believe it's a nice cab as well, I let mine go to the mid scoop.

14. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I misunderstood what he was looking for. To me, punch is in midbass, not midrange. The HLF seems punchy to me. Deep and punchy. I still think he should play through it with his bass and his amp (I would have that amp checked out too) and decide if he likes it. No sense in buying a cab on opinions when its local and he can try it himself.

15. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have an 410HLF and I really like it. I have always gravitated towards a mid range tone no matter what bass I have played, sometimes admittedly at the sacrifice of the low end. The HLF seems to help fill in the gap (for me) but I can see where others might not like it. I was recording recently at a studio that had some really nice Mesa gear and I really missed that bottom end I get with the HLF. I even asked the engineer to check the equipment because I thought I had something set up wrong lol

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021