1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 410hlf

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IWillFlyOneDay, Jan 5, 2012.

1. IWillFlyOneDay

IWillFlyOneDay Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2007
    I did a search through the search function, so please forgive me if I just suck at using it.

My current rig is a Fender Jazz through a GK 800RB into Peavey 810tx. It's a monster, great tone, and LOUD. But, the 810TX is getting to be a real pain loading in and out all the time. Also, I've been looking to get something with a little more bassy. I play in a loud post-hardcore band and also a Surf band. I thought about getting the Ampeg 410hlf, but what I'm curious about is, what kind of rooms would the Ampeg 410 not be suited to fill? How big a room before I would need to have an 810 or so? I know that a lot of people say the cab size doesn't really matter, that a PA will push everything, and I know that's true, but I'm just trying to get an idea on whether downsizing is a good idea or not. A lot of the places we've played recently have not mic'd the bass or anything, so that's why I'm wondering.

2. I have both an SVT810e and a 410Hen (a 4x10 + horn) - and the fact is the 810 is easier to move - other than requiring a little help with stairs - and I find that in most bands, there is always someone to help you. But the 410 is still heavy, takes up the same footprint on stage - it's just as much, if not more of a pain to move since you don't have the big wheels and towel bar (on the SVT810e, anyway - not sure what your cab has) - but ultimately it's sort of 6 of one half a dozen of the other when it comes to moving either rig - it's just where you have to invest in a little help that changes - only a little...

If you are going to downsize (IMO), you really need to go for it and get combo or small cab that's good for stage monitoring and rely heavily on the PA for FOH. Otherwise, just cutting the giant cab down to a smaller big cab really doesn't decrease your physical workload.

3. IWillFlyOneDay

IWillFlyOneDay Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Thanks for the reply man, that's something I hadn't really thought about. What's the weight like on the SVT? My peavey is like 150 I think, if the weight isn't much different, there may not be any sense in changing anyway, although the casters on the ampeg seem to be way better than the ones on the Peavey.

4. The SVT810e weighs around 165 - but yes, the towel bar and casters are great and make moving it easier than moving most large cabs.

But consider the fact that you'll pretty much require a dolly or casters of some sort with either cab you have - then you have to lift them both into your vehicle - lift them back out - dolly them in - you know...

To me it's much easier to dolly the big cab to the back of the SUV and just 'tip it in' - Much easier than dead-lifting my 410.

That's why I am suggesting that if making your load-in easier is really your goal, you need to go significantly smaller to have any meaningful impact. Otherwise it's just trading one heavy, awkward load for another.

5. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I have an Ampeg SVT410HLF, great cab, even though mine with built in the era where they used MDF. Its never have a problem keeping up. It is moveable with 1 person but tough, the wheels on are the back. Easy to move with 2 people, though it does want to tilt forward.

I would say before you get one, try to move a 410 and see if its easier for you. I have a BXT210M cab as well, got it so I could get a cab by myself out of my basement

6. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Have you thought about a 6 X 10 ?

7. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I used to own a 410 HLF
    and it had the towel bar and big wheels, not a problem to move.

8. I didn't know the hlf included those nice little features. That could make things a little easier. My 410Hen doesn't have those. It had basic casters - that I need to replace - but even so, it's still not light and still pretty much requires 2 people for stairs - unless I'm really feeling manly...

I was just looking at some pics of the HLF Classic and it does look nice - and sure does have the t-bar and big wheels - that will make things easier for sure but my point is the difference between schlepping an 810 and a 410 is really not all that great - in my experience, anyway. Only a little less weight - but equally as awkward and still requires some help in most instances.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Honestly, I would not look at anything smaller for shows without PA support. Getting the extra bass response live for shows without PA support MIGHT be a little helpful, but once you get PA support, the extra low end is NOT helpful at all for hearing yourself.