Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 412-HE bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Oct 8, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Has anyone got expeirience with this cab? It is an ampeg 412, you dont see that every day. It lists for $949. What do you think the store price is? Why do now online stores have and and why are there no reviews or and why is it this is the ONLY thread made specificlly about this cab??? Anyone?

2. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    ......man you cant be serious.

3. I didn't know such a beast existed. Then again I'm no Ampeg expert. I did a search of "Ampeg SVT412HE" and came up with some sites selling these cabs. They are running anywhere between $659 and $759. Hope this helps.

4. ...isn't that their guitar cab?

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
  6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've played one in a music store. It was used, they wanted around $500 for it. 4 Ohms, I forget the wattage. It sounded great, very full, and powerful. Couldn't really put it through its paces in the store. I ended up buying an old 8X10 instead, it was cheaper and I was on a tight budget. Seemed like a great cab from what I could tell though.

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Played one at GC a few times. It's got the typical ampeg sound and everything. To me it sounded about the same as the svt410hlf. I didn't really get to turn it up too loud, but it's ampeg, really cant go wrong there.

8. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    That cab actually sounds like a good deal. I mean it is a cheaper alternative the 410HLF(30-40 bucks less anyway) yet a beefeir more low, powerful version of 410HE. I liked the 410PRO's sound. I like 12's over 10's. I actually might think of considering this.

9. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Frequency Response (-3 dB): 50Hz - 18kHz
    Maximum SPL: 125dB
    Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
    Program Handling: 800W
    RMS Handling: 400W
    Sensitivity: 98dB SPL 1w/1m
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz

these are some of it's specs. I'm not a total "efficent" master
    can someone tell me if these are good or not? Take notice I like to DETUNE on my 4. (B,C#,F# D)

10. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I've posted before about the ampeg 412 that I have. I've had it for about 6 months now. It's a great cab. Goes really well with my vintage svt. I chose this cab over the 410hlf because it is a sealed cab, making it sound more like an older ampeg sealed 810 vs. the modern sounding 410hlf. My only gripe is that it is a little more boxier, making it more difficult to transport and pickup alone.

11. Sorry but the 412He is a ported cab...

12. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Are you sure that it is a ported cab? When I bought it from the guys at bassnw.com they told me otherwise. The told me that it was a sealed cab. Hmmm. Still sounds great though!

13. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    is it back-ported? cuz I dont see any holes or anything the pics. It just looks like the 410HE and thats a sealed cab.

14. I'm also nearly certain the 410 HE is back ported as well.

15. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    the 810E is a sealed cab. the 410"HALF"E is also sealed. I was sure the 412 is is sealed wheres the of otherwise?

16. Looking at the pictures you can see two front ports between the upper ad lower speakers. :confused:

17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I played through one of those this past week at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. They have about 15-20 cabs on a rotary dial--Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, Peavey, Fender, Genz Benz, etc. All you have to do is play and twist the knob to compare cabs.

Any 412 cab and this Ampeg in particular are relatively lower on midrange punch and relatively higher on low end boom. This is a good cab for a rocker with a tube head. It is NOT the cab to choose if you play fingerstyle funk and like to dig in for a midrange burp. The cab is large and square, as opposed to the GS412, which is narrow and tall. The Ampeg reminded me a lot of a "supersized" 410.

18. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Thats cool. It's good to know there are some people who like the sound. I would really like an answer to post #9 though.

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Those aren't the best specs you'll find on a cabinet....but given the wide variance among manufacturers in the way this data is tabulated, you're best off playing through the cab to see if you dig it. That's what really matters.