Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg 412he vs. ampeg 410he

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Sep 9, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I was possibly thinking of purchasing one of these cabs. what do you all think would be the better choice and why?

ampeg 410he @$599

Dimensions: 25 x 24 x 16
    Weight: 91 Pounds
    Component 1: Magnet Weight: 30 oz
    Component 1: Size: 4 x 10"
    Component 1: Voice Coil: 2"
    Component 2: Magnet Weight: 8 oz
    Component 2: Size: Horn/Driver
    Component 2: Voice Coil: 1"
    Crossover Frequency: 4 kHz
    Frequency Response (-3 dB): 60 Hz - 18 kHz
    Maximum SPL: 122 dB
    Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Program Handling: 1000 Watts
    RMS Handling: 500 Watts
    Sensitivity: 98 dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 43 Hz

OR

ampeg 412he @$699

Dimensions: 29.25 x 27.5 x 18.25
    Weight: 91 Pounds
    Component 1: Magnet Weight: 30 oz
    Component 1: Size: 4 x 12"
    Component 1: Voice Coil: 1.5"
    Component 2: Magnet Weight: 8 oz
    Component 2: Size: 1" Compression Driver
    Component 2: Voice Coil: 1"
    Crossover Frequency: 5 kHz
    Frequency Response (-3 dB): 50 Hz - 18 kHz
    Maximum SPL: 125 dB
    Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
    Program Handling: 800 Watts
    RMS Handling: 400 Watts
    Sensitivity: 98 dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40 Hz

these are all the specs according to Ampeg. Is it weird that the 412 is rated 100 watts less, and that the 412 has the same magnet weight, smaller voice coil, and weighs the same as the 410

Thanks!

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Are you sure the 4x12 isnt a guitar cab?

3. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT412HE.pdf
    it's a bass cab.

also, I have a ampeg. svt 115e. is there an after market place that could make me the speaker grill (it attaches by velcro) in the cool looking grey vintage/anniversary look? i've found a 4x10 in the anniversary look and it might be cool to have my 15" match it.

i just worry about the 410he because i disliked my GK sbx410. i usually like 15" but i miss a little of definition. that's why i am thinking 4x12.

thoughts, anyone?

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Th 412HE is NOT a guitar cab & sounds completely different than the 410HE. It is deeper, more full, less honky than the 10's. The 4 ohm, 400 watt rating is the only reason I dont own one.

www.fliptops.net for grill cloth or contact Saint Louis Music. Pretty easy to make a grill cover, of course you'd need a table saw... Does your15E have a grill cover? why not just replace the cloth?

5. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    don't forget to consider an hlf, maybe it doesn't concern you cause of the 15, but it had a better all around response than the he, hence why I got a 410hlf...they've been popping up used a bunch lately.

6. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    thanks for that link!!! i guess i could just buy the fabric and have an apolostry shop put it on the frame or heck, just do it myself. i am a sucker for the 70's look.

also i hate the cabs with carpet, but my cats love them. my cats cry when keep my GK cabinets away from them. note to manufactors: tolex is the way to go, angry cats or not.

BTW-what is the deal with the ampeg cab being 4x12 being 400 watts and the 4x10 being 500watts RMS. is it a typo. I would just be afraid with my 1001rb-II of blowing the cab.

do you think they'll make a better one? i think the wattage is what scares most people. the speakers are basically the same magnets as the 10" with a smaller voice coil, why?

the hlf cab is an option, but it's heavy, and i am not abig fan of the dolley wheels vs. casters. cool going up the stairs, not cool going down. if the 410hlf was 8 ohms, i might buy it.

mm
    mm

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    check with www.stlouismusic.com about the grill cloth too, it may be cheaper direct from them. are you a patient person? are you at least somewhat co-ordinated? if you are both of these, then just replace the cloth yourself. you need a staple puller (or flathead screwdriver + pliers), a staple gun & scissors.

The 412HE was undoubtably designed to those specs for a reason. What that reason is, I do not know. :confused: If it was at least 600 watt 4 ohm cab, or a 400 watt 8 ohm cab, I'd probably own one.

8. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    just adding, the hlf isn't a whole lot heavier when you're already in the 90lbs range, and the 412 is 4 ohms. If impedance was such an issue, you'd have the same problem with the 412...wasn't sure if you noticed that or not. :)

I've also run a Fender 15" with the 410hlf using my ampeg b2r head, I know that's not quite the same power as your gk, but maybe another consideration to add to the discussion, if you know what I mean.

9. I own the 410he and the 410hlf... i'd definitely recommend the 410hlf... i hear ya on the casters vs. dolly wheels... but the sound from the 410hlf is well worth it.

the 410hlf has tons more depth and lows than the 410he... i've never heard the 412he... but they're both 4 ohms... i'd definitely recommend the 410hlf.