Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 4x10 combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aslan, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi!
    I have done some searching, but can't find answers to my questions...
    I have an Ampeg SVT-410HLF that I really like. Great tone and power. But when I play with my bands on bigger stages (1000+), I need another cab to get more power. Is there anyone who have tried to combine a 410HLF with a 410HE? Or is it better to combine a 410HE with a 15E? I can't afford a new cab, and here in Sweden there are no used HLF's, but a few HE's. I have a SVP-Pro with a QSC PLX 2402 so I don't have any ohm problem. I play mostly rock/metal.
    Thankful for answers!

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive tried the 410HE with my SVT CL and I wasnt impressed. I use a 410 HLF but have never tried the two together. I thought the power handling of the HE left something to be desired. If I were you I would wait around for an HLF to come around....

3. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, quite frankly, I used to use the 4X10 and a 1X15 and really liked the sound. Then I went with the SVT5Pro and the 8X10 Cab....That's it, I'm hooked! Personally, I would go with the 1X15 but that's just my opinion....

Randall Flagg

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Hey man. I have an Ampeg PR410hlf, and an SVT-III (3), and it pumps!! Over a 120-watt Marshall Half-stack, LOUUUUUUUUUUUUD drums, and a 200-watt P.A. Personally I would go with the 4x10 and the 1x15. But I (personally) would rather get the one that you think is the highest quality first. Because you can always add on.

But to tell you the truth man, I don't think Ampeg makes a bad cab ;) :D -

5. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for your replies!
    I'm just a little worried about the rating of the 15E cab. It's just 200W RMS. Does anyone have a problem with that? I don't want to to be worried about breaking the cab.

6. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i go with the general advice, go with the 15', the combo of 4x10+tweeter and the 1x15 will be great!

The SVT15E can handle up to 400W RMS , no?

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    nevermind, 200 W RMS or 400w ...

8. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bump!!!

Anyone had a problem with the SVT-15E power handeling??

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, see if you can find a SVT 1540 HE. these are killer cabs! they are about the same size as an 8x10, and they have a 4x10/1x15 inside. Use a compressor with this thing and it sounds huge!

10. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the tip, Romeo. But I think it would be too big and heavy to transport. I don't have a big car so I need to "cut it in half" to fit. I'm shure they sound great!!

Andreas

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ah. didn't see that part. Well its essentialy a 410HE and a 115HE slapped together... but one thing that gets me... each section is 4 ohms, or 8 ohms full range. you think it would be oppisite, right? it would make 100x more sense to have a 8 ohm 4x10 and a 8 ohm 1x15 all in one cab, for the total load of 4 ohms... i mean, its basically an all in one cab. what the hell else would you need to add on? Think of an 8x10 at 8 ohms... makes NO sense. damn SLM! DAMN YOU!!! Meh, its all cool, it sounds bitchin, and its a fun place to hang out. After gigs, i take my rack out, and plant high above on top. its alot of fun. and wheeling it around really isn't bad, its just like a big garbage can. THANK GOD they have the towel bar + tilt back casters... could you imagine trying to vertically lift a 153 lb cab? oww, my back already hurts.

12. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have a new idea!
    How would 2 SVT210he sound with the SVT410hlf? To get 4 ohm/channel. According to the specs, the SVT210he has a little little more low freq and better sensitivity. Anyone tried that combination???