1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 4x10 combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aslan, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi!
    I have done some searching, but can't find answers to my questions...
    I have an Ampeg SVT-410HLF that I really like. Great tone and power. But when I play with my bands on bigger stages (1000+), I need another cab to get more power. Is there anyone who have tried to combine a 410HLF with a 410HE? Or is it better to combine a 410HE with a 15E? I can't afford a new cab, and here in Sweden there are no used HLF's, but a few HE's. I have a SVP-Pro with a QSC PLX 2402 so I don't have any ohm problem. I play mostly rock/metal.
    Thankful for answers!

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive tried the 410HE with my SVT CL and I wasnt impressed. I use a 410 HLF but have never tried the two together. I thought the power handling of the HE left something to be desired. If I were you I would wait around for an HLF to come around....

3. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, quite frankly, I used to use the 4X10 and a 1X15 and really liked the sound. Then I went with the SVT5Pro and the 8X10 Cab....That's it, I'm hooked! Personally, I would go with the 1X15 but that's just my opinion....

Randall Flagg

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Hey man. I have an Ampeg PR410hlf, and an SVT-III (3), and it pumps!! Over a 120-watt Marshall Half-stack, LOUUUUUUUUUUUUD drums, and a 200-watt P.A. Personally I would go with the 4x10 and the 1x15. But I (personally) would rather get the one that you think is the highest quality first. Because you can always add on.

But to tell you the truth man, I don't think Ampeg makes a bad cab ;) :D -

5. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for your replies!
    I'm just a little worried about the rating of the 15E cab. It's just 200W RMS. Does anyone have a problem with that? I don't want to to be worried about breaking the cab.

6. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i go with the general advice, go with the 15', the combo of 4x10+tweeter and the 1x15 will be great!

The SVT15E can handle up to 400W RMS , no?

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    nevermind, 200 W RMS or 400w ...

8. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bump!!!

Anyone had a problem with the SVT-15E power handeling??

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, see if you can find a SVT 1540 HE. these are killer cabs! they are about the same size as an 8x10, and they have a 4x10/1x15 inside. Use a compressor with this thing and it sounds huge!

10. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the tip, Romeo. But I think it would be too big and heavy to transport. I don't have a big car so I need to "cut it in half" to fit. I'm shure they sound great!!

Andreas

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ah. didn't see that part. Well its essentialy a 410HE and a 115HE slapped together... but one thing that gets me... each section is 4 ohms, or 8 ohms full range. you think it would be oppisite, right? it would make 100x more sense to have a 8 ohm 4x10 and a 8 ohm 1x15 all in one cab, for the total load of 4 ohms... i mean, its basically an all in one cab. what the hell else would you need to add on? Think of an 8x10 at 8 ohms... makes NO sense. damn SLM! DAMN YOU!!! Meh, its all cool, it sounds bitchin, and its a fun place to hang out. After gigs, i take my rack out, and plant high above on top. its alot of fun. and wheeling it around really isn't bad, its just like a big garbage can. THANK GOD they have the towel bar + tilt back casters... could you imagine trying to vertically lift a 153 lb cab? oww, my back already hurts.

12. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have a new idea!
    How would 2 SVT210he sound with the SVT410hlf? To get 4 ohm/channel. According to the specs, the SVT210he has a little little more low freq and better sensitivity. Anyone tried that combination???