Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 4x10 comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, Mar 20, 2003.

1. BSE-410HLF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BSE-410H

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BXT-410HL

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. SVT-410HLF

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  5. SVT-410HE

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Okay, I've been rethinking my rig plans (YET AGAIN, it never ends :() and I've currently got my mind set on a biamped 4x10/1x18 Ampeg setup.

However, I'm not sure which 410 cab I should use to complement the SVT-18. It needs to be able to cover the lower mids and up, and be able to handle around 400-500w RMS. I was wondering if you guys could offer me any feedback on which series cab I should get and why. I'm not including the pro series 410 in the poll because it's out of my pricerange.

Btw, if you haven't seen any of my other threads, I play mostly rock/metal and I now own a Spector NS2000/5. Also, I'd be using an SVP-Pro and a QSC power amp (not sure which yet) with these cabs.

[Edit - Oops, I just realized the BSE-410H and the SVT-410HE were 8ohm cabs, that rules them out. Wish I could fix the poll :(]

2. jacobm

jacobm

May 31, 2002
    i play the bxt410hl and am extremly pleased with it, it is great for funk and jazz sound but it may offer a sound desireable to you. my suggestion would be to try them all out. what size venues are you going to be playing with this rig?

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    We're not playing for anyone at the moment, mostly just practicing, as we're still without a vocalist.

But once we do get set, we will most likely be playing in several medium sized venues, nothing extremely big.

How would you describe the sound of the BXT compared to the SVT series cabs?

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oh also, I was wondering if you knew of any places that sell the BXT cabs online, I haven't found any..

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    look man, havent tried those cab's but if you're gonna be playing with a QSC, I'd suggest an ampeg 8x10. That will give you more room and what not.

l8r,
    ErC

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I really don't like the idea of lugging the 8x10 around, it's a bit to big and heavy for my tastes (not to mention for my back :)). I have however been considering the SVT 6x10HLF, it seems like a nice compromise. Anyone have any feedback on their 6x10?

7. I have a svt-410hlf and love it, it sounds great on its own and has no troulble with the lows. I usually just bring the 410hlf with me when we get together for jamming. you also mentioned you were looking at a 18" cab. I also run a svt 215e, if you were checking out a 18" cab i would recomend checking out this cab (215e) along with the 410hlf i think sounds great, and is a good combination in my opinion. A bit big (215e) but has a towel rack in the back and dolly stylye wheel on the bottom, easy to move by your self as long as your not negotiating to many stairs.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ok, I've been thinking about the 610HLF for a little while now, and it looks like it would probably be a better overall choice to use with the 18. I'm hearing all these good things about the 410HLF but the power handling just has me a little worried...

See I've heard that you should give 18" cabinets plenty of headroom, and with the 410HLF I'd have to worry much more about that cab getting too much power, in turn limiting my volume to a certain extent. With the 610, I wouldn't really have to worry about it so much.

Now I'm going to need to decide on a power amp... I was thinking that the QSC RMX2450 in stereo would probably do the job best. What do you guys think?

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I think I'll bump this once more before I go to sleep :)

10. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I run the Ampeg SVP and the QSC 2402. I don't use an Ampeg cab at the moment. I play in a *very* loud hard rock band.

Surprisingly I have to say that I was impressed by the SVT-410HLF. I always overlooked it because it was part of their classic series and had that kinda retro look which isn't what our band was about at all. But, if I was to go Ampeg (and I still might one day) I wouldn't hesitate to try the 410HLF.

On a side note I'd ditch the 18" idea. More problems than it's worth and really an outdated idea if you're trying to do the heavy thing. Really I don't understand the need for lots of on stage cabs. My rig is really only my monitor I always run direct. We play lots of small clubs but there is always PA. Usually I just run an SWR SOB live unless I have some more stage space then I run a 4/10. To each his own but for me an 18 is a PITA.

I'm a bit confused as to what your goal is. If you're running a stereo power amp you will be able to adjust each cabinet independently. You want to run a 6/10 and an 18 on one stage? What band are you in -- Megadeth? That is just overkill my friend. You don't have to be the PA. I'd upgrade your Spector and spend a lot less money on cabinets. Yes, I used to play a Spector too.

Best of luck.

www.lohmusic.com

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Outdated thread, man...it got bumped up here yesterday for some reason. :)

And yeah, I ditched the 410/118 idea, it was a bit much. Right now I'm thinking of just getting an Aguilar GS212 and possibly adding another later on if I need it.

12. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Outdated is right. I must have been half asleep. Yeah the 2/12 sounds like a much better idea. I'm checking into the Epifani 3/10 at the moment.

Later.