Ampeg 4x10 or Avatar 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jake_tim, Mar 10, 2006.

1. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    So theres two cabs that are on sale, I love the depth and punch of a 2x12, but i love 410s also,
    I mostly Play like, hair/Glam rock, and alot of punk music( like 70s and 80s)

Decisions decisions. Can i get some suggestions in here PLEASE

2. walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    I have the Avatar B410 Neo and B212 Neo.
    They sound amazing. Best of both worlds - lots of bottom and lots of punch.
    I drive them with an Eden WT800B.

Excellent value and they are fairly lightweight cabs.
  3. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5

THAT sounds like a nice rig!!
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just picked up an Ampeg BSE410HLF to go with my Eden WT-400. I play in a classic rock cover band (70's, 80's, 90's).

The Ampeg BSE410HLF is very tight, articulate and solid. Low end that slams me in the chest, but stays tight and focused. Not "boomy" in the least. I did a side by side comparison of that cab and Ampeg's SVT410 using my amphead. Not much difference to me...but the BSE was smaller, had the metal grill and four removable casters.

Avatars looked very attractive to me, and I considered them... but I was able to try out the Ampeg. It took me all of five minutes to decide on the Ampeg after hearing it myself, with my own gear
  5. ICI

Mar 8, 2006
    I have the SVT410HE and the Avatar 2X12. I also have an Aguilar 1X12. I like the twelves, but for me, those two boxes need tens with them. They boom, and they can have highs if you like tweeters (I don't), but they need tens for mid punch (my opinion). The SVT410HE is good by itself, but I mostly used it with an Ampeg V4 and a Musicman HD-130 at smallerish gigs. It is, in my opinion, a better stand alone cab than either one of the twelves. Take into consideration the heads that I used and that volume was never an issue to me at this particular gig that I used them at.