Ampeg 4x10 replacement driver help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Moerke, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Hello, I have a 1978 Ampeg V4B and a Fliptops 27" wide 4x10 closed enclosure (not ported). I was wondering what 10" drivers you would recommend to get the sound as close as I can to 1/2 of an SVT flatback with the old CTS 137's? Ideally I would like to have the cabinet be 4 ohms so I could also use my 1971 SVT, but I dont think I can find a good 16 ohm speaker match. I think I will have to settle with 8 ohm speakers (8 ohm cabinet) or go with the 32 ohm Heritage in series/parallel. This is good for the V4B, but I will not be able to use my SVT.

Do you have a recommendation for drivers for a closed 4x10 that would have a 4 ohm load?

If not what is your recommendation for drivers for a closed 4x10 with an 8 ohm load?

I have talked with Eminence and I was told that due to Covid they had to close the custom shop so they will no longer due custom speakers. They only have for sale what they have on the website.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Try modeling the SC10-16.

Here's what the website says:
    Optimized specifically for sealed bass cabinets, the ultra-lightweight Basslite SC10 will take the weight out, but leave the performance in. Featuring a 4 oz. neodymium magnet and 2 inch voice coil, this 10 inch speaker is available in 16 and 32 ohms for your 4x10 or 8x10 rig.
    Basslite_SC10_16.png

See attached docs.

Attached Files:

3. Thanks for the reply and the information.

4. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    Think he wants something like this.

k453klzqvzphgoyrfpsg.jpg

If your looking for the Flatback sound. Its just 32 ohm guitar speakers
    " 137" is the EIA code not model number.
    Be good to hear a flatback to judge for yourself if your really chasing that sound.
    A lot of mids, not very much bass, distorts pretty easily.
    Full 810 breaks up pretty fast.

Just a normal Beta10 sounds better.
    The 16 ohm SC10 mentioned above are available in multiple impedances
    and sound very similar to the beta.

I could probably find a 80 to 75 hz type guitar speaker.
    but its not feasible as a 4x10. you really need 8 to 16 of them to make guitar speakers work
    like the original design.

the real powerhouses was much later when the Eminence Special Design came into play.
    Heck no joke the peavey special design bass speakers have the mids and clarity.
    rather have those than CTS speakers

5. Thanks for the info. I have a 1973 SVT with the CTS 137's, I am very familiar with the sound of the Flatback cabinet. I am looking to build a 4x10 that sounds as close as it can to the 810 with the CTS drivers. The issue being I need the cabinet to be 4 ohms. There are not a lot of 16 ohm speaker choices.

6. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    16 ohm

Eminence Basslite SC10-16
    Eminence Legend CA10-16
    Eminence Beta 10B

if you run 4 ohm speakers series/ parallel its a 4 ohm load

Sealed =

Ampeg Factory 10" part number 86- 510- 04
    Faital Pro 10FE200-4

Ported =

Eminence Deltalite II 2510-4
    Faital Pro 10PR300-4

Also since you have a V4
    The V4 4x12 cabinet is a good option

7. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If you build a 410 out of guitar speakers its not going to take very much power. Even a CTS loaded Ampeg 810 was only rated for about 240W. You need two of them if you're going to crank an SVT.

I don't know of any alnico 10s that are up to the task the OP is asking for.

9. Exactly! So what is the preferred speaker to put in a custom 4x10, get the Ampeg CTS 137 sound, carry the SVT power, that is 4ohms?

10. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    Its something I thought about too.
    And did a little research or investigating suitable drivers.

It always follows the same loop in my head.
    Using guitar speakers would be the right way.
    even better if it was a stamp steel basket with alnico.

then announce to the world this great find lol.
    but it only works if you use a lot of guitar speakers
    so the authentic solution wont work for a 4x10
    which i was interested in doing too.

so what is a higher powered driver with similar tone curve.
    well I needed original drivers to make the comparison
    and likely do actual TS measurements.

my flatback is long gone and never had the chance to
    get another.
    So I was looking at a few good Faital drivers.
    for a tone curve and power handling

And even had a feeling the Eminence Deltas
    would pull it off.
    I definitely wasnt being a jerk either with the peavey speakers.
    Probably old scorpions would pull it off too

So my unconfirmed suspects was a actual Eminence Guitar Alnico

The Legend 1028K
    tbn:ANd9GcSqNQsCit6iI_t4Ql-cDjbWlLxFqVhXLKq_COdIoG4esXE83KTpSviqCUHM8Nfyqb7FnLLobnM2KEU&usqp=CAc.png
    Or a Delta 10A or B
    or a Faital 10PR300
    for a much much higher power rating.

Eventually I just started thinking more about finding
    some V4 4x12 cabinet and just loading it with
    Eminence S2012

another popular thing was the Jenson Mod 10 or Qs
    the look is very close.
    I just never liked the speakers
    sound was more important
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4UqmnAv5R2ABLhZ8ymeloggh5ULCsTHCntQ&usqp=CAU.jpg
    even though the Eminence Deltas isnt ideal
    for a " Bass" cabinet.
    Have a big feeling they would be closer to the sound
    and have slightly more power handling.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The Jenelestemin 1016ne, the ne standing for "non-existent."

12. APW

APW

Jan 30, 2020
    Northeast PA
    Reviving this thread:
    I recently acquired an amped SVT810E, to run my 1968 Bassman through for lower volume playing and recording. It sounds quite good to my ears but one of the drivers is rattling and possibly broken. I was thinking about attempting to repair the crack with silicone, hot glue, or epoxy, but... Reading this thread got me thinking
    what if I could replace 4 of the 8 drivers with inexpensive and possibly superior sounding 10" 32ohm guitar speakers? Could I perhaps improve my sound, save $ over the cost of buying 2 heritage 10" bass speakers? The Bassman is only 50 watts so the guitar speakers could definitely handle it and might even be a better match for the lower powered head. Im kinda new to all this tube amp / cabinet medaling so let me know what your thoughts are. I use the bassman for guitar primarily, but picked up the 8x10 for a great price just to have around for recording / rehearsing bass.
    Thanks - X

13. I bought 4 of the heritage drivers. They are amazing! They are so much better than the normal drivers! It’s worth the upgrade.

14. APW

APW

Jan 30, 2020
    Northeast PA
    I would prefer to drop 2-4 heritage drivers in there, but this outlay of cash isn't something I can do right now
    depending on where I source them of course. Full Compass has them at $169 each for 2 plus shipping is more than I spent on the cabinet lol. And the Jensen Mod 10-50s would be $160 for a pair shipped. Something to think about I suppose

15. lpbfender

lpbfender

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    I just finished updating a 1977 Ampeg B-40 with Eminence SC-10 16 ohms and I couldn’t be happier. I’ll save the original cts’s and I’m recommending the same,

16. APW

APW

Jan 30, 2020
    Northeast PA
    I ordered 2) MOD 10-50s for a little over $100, for the top 2 drivers, I'll add 2 ampeg heritage drivers at a later date then have 3 different tonal flavors to choose from when recording - thanks for all your input!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022