1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 4x10HLF into a Hartkee 3500 head???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rattman1, Oct 31, 2010.

1. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    So I have read quite a bit about ohms on this site and it appears that it would be ok to plug an Ampeg 4x10HLF (4 ohms 500 watts) cabinet into a hartke 3500 which states:
    MODEL 3500
    350 WATTS
    8Ω = 240 WATTS
    4Ω = 350 WATTS

Anyone have any ideas about how an ampeg cab might sound with a hartke head? I already have the head and have an opportunity to pick up a 410hlf for $350.

Does that sound like a decent price for that cab? I used to play through a hartke 410 transporter and was very happy with the sound.
    Gtg ready to start playing classic/progressive rock in bars and clubs in Chicago.

Thanks all.
    Rattman

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    that should sound awesome. Same setup I used to use for a bit. The price on the HLF is fair I suppose, but sometimes you can find them lower. Cabs arent worth a damn thing used but people still seem to think that they can knock 200 off retail and expect to get it.

3. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    Hey thanks for theply.

Yeah... he was asking $400, now $375.
    I asked him if he would take $300 and he countered w $350.

How would you compare those cones to the hartke 4x10 transporter? probably less bright and a lot fuller?

I slap very infrequently but may throw in a bit on a tune here or there.

Ratt

4. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    Ok. here is a good question.

If the Ampeg retails for about $700 and the hartke 4xl goes for $350 new..... would it make more sense for me to pay $350 for a new hartke cab... or is the ampeg that much better of an amp that I should get the used (good shape) for the same price????????

5. I have had both but was never happy with Hartke or Ampeg, but everybody's taste is different. The 410 HLF is a good cabinet and the price is below what you would normally find for a used one.

6. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    There is a 410 HLF on craigslist for $300. It's in Lombard.

7. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    Yes sleepytime... i saw that...
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/2034736142.html

but it does not appear to be the same model as this one.
    http://racine.craigslist.org/msg/2031046867.html

Are those the same cab?
    I like $300 better than $350.

...but more importantly..... do you think the ampeg is a better cab than the Hartke 410xl?

I play a stingray by the way (my favorite bass!) and will be doing lots of classic and progressive rock.

Thanks again everyone for being so generous with your advice!!!!!

Ratt

8. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I have a Hartke 3500 and an Ampeg 410HE. I like the amp a lot, you can dial in a nice wide variety of tones, very versatile, and to me it sounds louder than what I would expect from the specs. The Ampeg isn't really my cup of tea. I prefer a more HiFi tone and more low extension, but its not the HLF so...

9. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    my neighbor actually gave me a Hartke 410 for free because his wife was yelling at him to get it out of the house and he no longer plays a bass. Its my main cab. My Ampeg 410 sits at home as a practice cab.

10. rattman1

rattman1

Oct 31, 2010
    so parsons... you like the hartke better. why is that?

can you descride the differences between the 2 cabs with the hartke 3500 head?

i want to make a good choice.

playing good old rock n roll (collective sould, stp, little river band, etc)

stingray bass.