1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 4x12 Bass Cab! Good deal or no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capncal, Jul 2, 2012.

1. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    I found a 2003 Ampeg 4x12 bass cab on my local craigslist for $320! I've read about how heavy this thing is but holy crap, any Ampeg stand alone cab for $320 seems too good a deal to pass up.

Has anyone played this cab? What are the drawbacks, other than the hundred or so pounds I'll have to lug around?

I'll be using it with my Ashdown Mag 300 until I stumble upon a sweet tube head down the road.

2. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I played one for awhile. Nice cabs. They were developed in connection with Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath and came out to rave reviews (including a Product of the Year title from one Industry group). I bought one expecting to get more volume and a little more breakup than I was getting from my SWR Goliath II 4x10. In all truth, the differences were minor.

Pushed with a solid state head, it was hard to hear any difference at all. Paired with an SVT, the 4x12 did outshine the SWR 4x10, and gave me a more satisfying breakup for rock songs.

If you play in a rock band (especially with an SVT) and don't want to lug around an 8x10, this is really a nice alternative. But, in my experience, it really is not all that different from a quality 4x10 cab for most other applications.

3. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Just sold one. Being 4 ohms, They are great cabs to pair with an SVT, if You aren't wanting the larger form factor of the 810. They are a sealed cab, so it holds with the SVT 810 tonal-vibe. The one I had sounded great, but I found it to be a tad bit on the Heavy side (100 lbs). IMO-Sounds like a pretty fair price.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    OMG yeah jump all over that...congrats on such a good find!!!

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah $325 for a well made cab it totally worth it!

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    The one I tried had the same behavior; "meh" to "OK" with a solid state amp, really good with an SVT head.

It's just so bulky and heavy.