ampeg 4x12 or 4x10hlf suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Feb 13, 2005.

1. terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    I need to buy a new cab for my svt2-pro, so I'm looking for a single cab (I don't want a two cabs system, like a 4x10"&1x15).So, with my head, what ampeg cab between 4x10 hlf and 4x12 will be the best cab to work without a sub, and what's the sound of 4x12"??I've not the opportunity to test a 4x12", but I really want to know if tones are too much specific for a kind of music, or if I can have a flexibility in my sound choise. I play vintage rock, or blues, but sometimes I need a more "modern" sound, to slap or only to get a new sound. What cab you suggest to me? What's your experience with this two cabinets?
    In ampeg site, 410hlf seems to be a deeper cab, but technical indications may be not usefull to understand if the sound is fat, or bright etc...So, maybe, a 4x12 can give a more fat and deep sound, even sounding at a higher frequencies that another cab like a 4x10" hlf.
    Please help me and give me some ideas.
  2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I use the HLF, and I love it. I can get pretty much any kind of sound that I want. As most would say, it would be best if you could try both out before you buy. Also check Harmony and other places like it for reviews. Hope that helped...somewhat.
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    The PR410hlf is one hell of a cab man. I can handle mad lows, and it keeps it's clarity with whatever you throw at it. It's also heavy as ****, it's like 140 pounds or so, but it is a TANK!