Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 4x12 sealed or ported...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Hello,
    I was thinking about getting a sealed cab for my Mesa 400+. The SWR Goliath III, which I use at the time seems not to be THE right cab for an all tube head.
    i saw that Ampeg 4x12's were produced for Geezer Butler and I love his tone, but I want to know if they are sealed or ported.
    On what other sealed cabs should I have a look at? BTW, I think a 8x10 would not be the right, because carrying it up and down the stairs of our rehearsal room is nearly impossible even with a 4x10.

The cab don't need to be very clean and hifi, because I love overdrive and distortion on bass.

thanks!!

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    it LOOKS ported to me from the picture on their website www.ampeg.com but i don't know for sure

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The hole in the middle is a horn,if it's ported, it's on the sides, but I can't tell for sure. I was gonna say sealed, but......

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL

i know what a tweeter looks like ;) it looks like it is ported on the sides to me, between the speakers there looks like there's ports that get half-hiddwn by the grille support beams

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Sorry about that, that's what I was looking at too. Looks like it might have 2 half moon ports,but I can't tell for sure.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If it says HLF in the name, it's ported. However, it doesn't, so it's most likely sealed.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Looks ported to me. I concur on ports between the speakers on the sides of the baffle. FWIW, the only "modern/classic" 4x12's (meaning newly designed, but like they used to make them in a square config) I'm aware of are the Trace Elliot 1248's (sealed), the SWR 12-Stack (ported), and this Ampeg. That's as opposed to designs like the Aguilar, etc. That have offset speaker mountings.

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The 412 HE was originally designed as a ported cab & I am pretty sure the website pic is of the ported cab, however, that design was changed shortly after it was released to the market in favor of a sealed version. There are still some ported 412 HE's out there, but the sealed (current production) version is a better cab overall. I demo'd a 412 HE at last winter NAMM & I loved the tone, but the 400 watt rating was not enough for my needs. I am hoping that they made a change & I find some higher rated 412 HE cabs next week at the NAMM show.

9. Could you be more specific?

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would suggest a Mesa 4x10 if you can find a good deal. They are ported but man, do they make Mesa tube amps sound good.

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Seriously, why is it that every time someone want's to buy something Ampeg, someone tries to talk them out of it? I really don't get it.
    My Ampeg rig is fine and sounds great.

12. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Welcome to Talkbass. :rolleyes:

I'm with ya man, I'm with ya. :bassist: