Ampeg 4X8 w' horn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chizzops, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Chizzops

Oct 29, 2002
    Someone is selling one of these in my area, and asking but $250, which seems reasonable assuming the speakers are in working order. Can anyone tell me if this discontinued Ampeg cab was good or not? Comparable to the SWR versions? Thanks.
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    If the drivers/tweeter are good & everything else is tight, grab it up NOW. The SVT-48HE should never have been discontinued IMO.
    I have one, use it w/ a V4BH- Excellent tone-the speakers are very fast & transient, the cab allows you to input with or without the horn. This cab has it all-great bass, great punch, growl, excellent highs, presence, fantastic color. In my case, the tube V4 helps, but I've also used it with a solid-state G-K, & it's fantastic.
    These units are kinda prized, so move fast.
    I strongly recommend this- as far as SWR-
    apples/oranges-both good, but I think the Ampeg has better depth & resonance.
  3. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    If it's as good as the swr 4x8 yummy... I don't even use the speaker on mine.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Hey Larry,

How much do these things weigh, just outta curiosity?
  5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I estimate about 50 lbs. That's another plus-besides the relatively light weight, the compact size is great-(about 24"W x 22H x 17D) so it fits easily in the rear space of my compact Subaru WRX wagon w/out folding the rear seat down-Nice! Mine has casters too, which are very helpful.
    No problem getting this unit around and it's perfect for medium size rooms. I want to add a SVT-15 below it-That should be superb, but this cab is awesome as a stand-alone.
  6. Roger that, sound, weight, cost. It's one of the best cabs I've played, and I'm proud to own one. The only negative about the cab is that it's not the most efficient, I think like spl 98 or something, maybe even 96.
  7. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Here's something: I have an Ampeg B2 combo with the four 8s and a horn. After I happened on to an SVT-CL, I took the head out of the B2 cabinet, modified the speaker cable so I can plug it into another head, added an SVT-15 for the bottom, and now have a respectable stack. Yes, it sounds very nice. Plus, I've always got a spare 350W head around in case the Classic goes down. Something to think about is you have a combo amp with speakers you like (and if you're on a budget).
  8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    That's pretty slick-
    My goal too- 4x8 & Horn (GOT IT) w/ 15,(Gonna GET IT) all AMPEG, all the time-powered by V4BH-(GOT IT)
    I am LOVIN' IT!
    Yes, I AM
  9. Chizzops

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks Larry I'll swoop it up.
  10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Very Cool....
    I'm sure you'll be diggin' it!
    Happy playing!:cool: