Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 4x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I can get one of these for $250. Is there anyone around here who is using one? It's about half of what i would have to pay for the 410, so I figured it would be worth looking into. It's an 8 ohm cab, and I would be bridging a SVT400T into it.

Would this be loud enough in a rock environment with a unamplified drumkit, and two 50w Mesa Boogie 212 rigs? The guitarists play clean and with overdrive in equal portions, but rarely use distortion.

2. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Ireland
    Ampeg 4x8 for $250 ?? In one sence you'd be mad not to jump at this offer but then again with the SVT400T it might be a bit more suited to the 4x10 (what I use) but it still sounds like a 4x8 would do the job that u want it to do, my verdict go for it.

3. I'm one of the few that own one. Let me start by saying it's the best sounding cab I've ever played!

I think by your description it would be loud enough (un-miked drums). If it's not enough volume, just add a 15 to it. As far as the guitarists' amps, I don't think there's many bass amps that can keep up with even moderately powered guitars amps, if fully cranked.

$250 is a "decent" price, though I paid about $150 for mine! (see if you can't get the seller down with this info.)

To be sure, it's a great cab.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I paid $350 for mine, New Old Stock-
    I use it as a stand-alone w/ a V4BH & it has fantastic presence- IMO one of the best sounding cabs I've ever used- 8's are very quick & transient.
    If you need more headroom, set it on top of a 1x15 Classic & you're set.

My advice- Buy It!

5. i had an ampeg b2 4x8 combo for about 5 years.

this buy far was one of he best sounding rigs i've had, besides my current SWR 8x8 and 400s.

Great tone, low end and mids

i used mine in a hard rock band (sabbath covers) competing with two half stacks and i had enough juice to spare.

Good Luck

Gary

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I got to look at the cab tonight, but it looks modified. It does have an ampeg label on the back, two jacks one for using the horn, and one for not using the horn... All that looks normal.

But it has a metal grill and plastic corners that look SWRish to me.

It sounded pretty darn good. It looked really small compared to some of these 410s I have been checking out. There did seem to be a bit of a ratlle when I played a low e, which may have been a speaker thing because I was connected to the jack for "no horn".

He said he would give it to me for a lower price because he could see I was unhappy with the mods... I told him I was gonna think about it.

I am wondering... Does anyone have a pic of what these should look like normally?

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I don't have a digital camera to provide a picture of my 4x8, but the cosmetics of this cab are identical to any of the current Ampeg "Classic" series cabinets- grill cloth, piping, tolex covering, etc.
    Only differences between this & a current 4x10 Classic in appearance would be the dimensions.

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Here... the 4x8 is of course smaller, has dual rear ports, and does not have the "indentations" on the top (for placing a head unit or another cab)

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    What I saw tonight had plastic corners, with three bars on each one, if I remember correctly, similar to "workingman" cabs by SWR. The metal pull out handles looked right. But the grill was black painted metal. The cab was covered by tolex rather than the carpet stuff.

I feel weird about this deal. The cab looked good and all. But it didn't seem like a ampeg to me.

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The corners on the Ampeg Classics are metal.
    I think that the grill cloth on that cab was torn & replaced with a metal grill. Can't figure out why the corners would be replaced w/plastic.
    To be frank, I myself would pass on the cab unless it sounded awesome when you tried it, but you said there was a problem, so.....
    There is a 4x8 Ampeg on E-Bay now-
    Good Luck! The "real deals" are well worth it.

11. i second this opinion. Sounds like someone trashed this thing, and the cabinet sholdn't be buzzing with a low E. i used to play my 5 strings thru it with great low end response.

hope this helps,

Gary