Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 6-10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vlad335, Sep 1, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Anyone have any opinions on the Ampeg SVT610HLF? I am considering buying one of these to use with a Crown Macrotech 1200 and an RBI.

Hows the low end? Its rated at 1200 watts/4 ohms. I plan to run the Crown in bridge mono if I buy this cab.

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I tried it with a couple of Ampeg heads a few months ago at Guitar Center. Sound was ok. Too muddy for my taste.

BTW, it handles 600 watts RMS and a peak of 1200. You might want to consider the SWR Goliath Sr. The sound is much cleaner and punchier.

~Patrick

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm making the 6x10 jump as well!

Bergantino NV610 :bassist:

Model NV610 specifications:
    • 6-10" woofers with vented pole pieces
    • power handling - 750 watts rms
    • frequency response: 40hz - 5khz
    • sensitivity: 102db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    • impedance: 4 ohms
    • dimensions: 36"H x 24"W x 15"D
    • weight: 98lbs.
    • tilt-back casters

4. I like the 6x10 a lot. It has a really good sound in my opinion. It's ported and handles the lows better than the 4x10's and has a tweeter to bring out the higs well.

5. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    It is a great cab IMHO. If you like growl, then this is the cab for you. I have run my SVT 4 bridged mono in to it (1200 watts) and had no problem at all.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I like mine alot, you need alot of power to get a good sound out of it. If it's too muddy the tweeter can really help with that, with that poweramp it should be fine.

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Great cab !

I'm considering buying one, it's smaller than the 8x10 but has the tweeter, which i think is more important than the 2x10.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I love the sound/tone I get from my 610hlf. My gripe all the Ampeg classic series cabs is they don't stand up to the normal abuse even from a weekend gigging band. I've had mine for about a year and a half. The tolex (I guess) rips off of it if you looka at it wrong. If you bump it, the particle board they use instead of plywood breaks and flakes off. And now the front grill of mine wants to fall off all the time. Great sounding cab but you will want to baby it. Maybe an anvil case?

9. Just got my NV610 last week. It's awesome. Both my amp rigs sound fantastic with it. I have a Mesa 400+ and/or QSCPLX-2402 with Demeter VTBP201-S. I have not tried it out on a gig yet. I have one last outside gig on 9/13 so I'll report.

Might be selling my Berg HT-322 if someone in the Chicago/Northwest Indiana area is interested....
    I like the NV610 better so far. For all my other gigs I'm using the Berg HT112/EX112, just awesome.

10. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Thanks for the responses!

I ordered the ampeg. Should have it Friday maybe.

I hope this thing handles the power I am going to put to it. The "growl" comment by Jawzzz did it for me. Just have to be careful not to bang it up too much.

11. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Just remember that when you get it, mess around with the tweeter level control. This will change the sound quite a bit. The less tweeter, the more "growl" you will get from it. Let us know how you like it.:bassist:

12. Grimm

Grimm

Dec 6, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have two, powered by an SVT-2- To my ears, they seem to have enough of the SVT mojo without the extra weight and bulkiness. The 410hlf seemed to be a different animal. I've not tried them with non-ampeg heads, so I can't offer any help there.

I think others here will tell you their completely different than the 810, due to the sealed enclosure, etc, but when I a/b'd them I thought the differences were minor.

The music I play is really straight forward, so I may have different results than what you're looking for.

13. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    OK I got the Ampeg and used it at rehearsal...

First I must say, this thing puts out a nice fat tone. Handles my Corvette standard in half step down tuning and drop D with out breaking up at all. There is nice power and roundness to the low notes. Interestingly, my bass sounds better with a pick than fingerstyle thru this cab.

Something that bothers me about this cab is its responsiveness. It almost seems like the notes are slightly delayed. I experimented with various settings on my amp to no avail.

Also if I turned around facing the cab I get horrible microphonic feedback. My bass is passive now and will be upgraded to active pickups when I figure out which PUs I want to go with, but this is weird. This hasnt happened with any other cab.

I am going to try this again at rehearsal Tues. I must admit I have mixed feelings about this cab.

14. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm going to give this a big fat BUMP! I'm really interested in this cab and these comments and pointers will help me get enough strength to test it out more.:)

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I never experienced either of those things when I had my 610hlf. Do you have the tweeter turned all the way up? That may cause the feedback. not sure....:meh:

16. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Just wondering.....What type of music do you play and what size gigs do you use this for?

17. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    No the tweeter is turned all the way down. Turning the control up and down only increases the noise as far as I can tell. When I have my bass strapped on standing in front of the amp the tweeter is PU level. It feeds no matter what if I'm somewhat close. Interesting to note... we played an outdoor gig with 4 bands and the last band wanted to use my rig. The bass player had an American Jazz bass with active circutry and he had feedback too. I don't have the highs or mids turned up either. Weird.

However, I have a different opinion of this cab since we did the outdoor gig on Saturday last week. Our rehearsal space didn't do it justice. It definately kicks ass with my Crown Macrotech powering it. We play hard alternative music in lower tunings and the ampeg handles all the power I put to it. Very potent low end unlike my SWR Goliath3. All I can say is it fits in the pocket with the band and makes everything sound powerful for us.

18. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    something sounds wrong here. Let us know what head you are using and how you are hooking it up. This cab should sound loud with lots of growl, good low end and no feedback. I used mine with a loud classic rock band and it always got the job done.

19. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    you may also want to try a different amp just to isolate the problem.

I use a fender active jazz, mesa 400+, my 610 sounds great. the tweeter definitely gives off some noise - but thats normal. i keep it closed at all times.

-erik

20. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I'm using an RBI Preamp and a Crown Macrotech MA-1200 in bridge mono.

I am going to get a EMG active PU set in my Warwick corvette soon. I think that will help.
    (hopefully)