1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg 610 HLF, as good as berg nv610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pulse, Mar 16, 2008.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi

another cab which I am interested in is the ampeg 610 HLF, why? as it is available in my local area, an SLM model and I never want to order a cab unheard again.(bergs are no where in Germany)

So I am hoping the 610 HLF is at least up there in the league of Cabs that can rock the ****

cos thats what it needs to do ....

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Is this a question or a statement?

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Why not a Glockenklang 6-Box?

4. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    oooops

forgot the ??????? in the title

how to edit a thread title?

5. Man, that's a little too subjective. The folks here who play the Bergs will give you an emphatic "NO!"

Having never played the Berg, I can't give an honest appraisal. I DO however, currently play through the Ampeg 6X10 and I LOVE it. IMO one of Ampegs best offerings. However, there is alway the glaring weight issue.....

I am really itching to try out one of the Berg cabinets, though...and after making a fool out of myself (bagging on MarkBass cabs) I can say without hesitation that they build a nice one, as well.....

Auf Weidersehn!

*long time former resident of Heidleberg*

6. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks man, I am itching for this ampeg

its in a new SLM cab, absolutley effortless to get a meaty tone out of it

with weight I am screwed anyways since my flight cased SVT II is pretty much a two man job unless I wanna risk myself some damage.

I can only imagine hearing the two together!

7. I hear that! It's the bass players dilema....I recently got rid of a SVT5Pro and a PR8X10 cab (the weight was just KILLING me) and .... now get this....ended up going with a SVT4Pro in a rack with the 6X10......a little help, but not much....long story short....I then tried out the MarkBass CMD121P.

Now the Halleuiah Choir begins......

Bingo!!

Problem solved!! I cart the CMD 121P back and forth to rehersals and small gigs and worry about the "Big Rig" when we do bigger jobs.....

Yes, Marie! There IS a Santa Claus!!

8. Dude, the Ampeg 6x10 is the cats pajamas.. the bees knees... tho Im sure the Berg is just as good. aaand Im sure the Ampeg will cost less

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The NV610 is my favorite bass cabinet bar none, but I can still be objective. The important thing to keep in mind is that the 610HLF has ports and a tweeter like most modern cabinets, whereas the NV610 is a sealed tweeterless design reminiscent of (and superior to) the classic Ampeg 8x10. Both the Ampeg and Bergie are great for rock, but they do sound different.

10. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I'm currently running my Mesa 400+ to an Ampeg 610HLF, and it sounds fantastic. The ported design really enhances the low end, and combined with the Mesa's relative "kick-you-in-the-chest" factor, the combination is excellent.

11. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I played them both in a store with the same SVT4 Pro head, and couldn't tell much difference. The Ampeg was ported and sounded a little "brighter" to me (well yeah it has a tweeter). Of course this was in a store and I didn't push everything to the max. Both were good just a little different tonewise. You may like sealed, you may like ported. I think if I had my heart set on a 6x10 I'd probably just get the Ampeg since it was $840 and the Berg was $1029 at this place. After reading so many great reviews I expected more out of the Berg... in physics my test was a box with 6 speakers vs. a box with 6 speakers so really I'm not surprised that there wasnt a world of difference.

12. Having played both the Ampeg is going to be boomier with the ports, but you could probably EQ it out. It's actually one of my least favorite cabs because of this (I have one in my garage, it doesn't come out, someone please come get it...). The Berg is tighter because it's sealed, but you get what you pay for, it's a top notch cab.

13. krall

krall Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Shediac, NB Canada
    Ever considered an Eden D610XLT?

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    IMHO, not even close!

Dan K.