1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 610hlf or 410hlf + 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicfargo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Hey guys,

I need some help here deciding what to do. I did a search here on TB and didn't exactly find the answer I was looking for, please help me. I was at my local GC today looking at cabs to go with my recently acquired SVT-3pro. Which would you guys do...a 610HLF for $650 or a 410HLF + 115 for $950. I was able to play through the 410 + 115 and really like it. I didn't have time to play through the 610. I like the idea of the 410 + 115 being as portable as it is. For those of you who had a change to play through both setups...which did you ultimately choose and why?

I enjoy rock, jazz, blues, etc. I dig what Victor Wooten can do. I'm not into super heavy death metal or anything like that.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Isn't the 3Pro a 4 ohm amp? Meaning, 4 ohm minimum, and both the 610hlf and 410 hlf are already 4 ohm cabs. That would make it impossible to combine the 410hlf with another cab. Or, is the 3 Pro stable down to 2 ohms? I don't think so. (basing this on my 6Pro, which is essentially a 3Pro on steroids)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    3 Pro definitely won't do anything lower than 4 ohms, so the 410HLF/115 is out. Besides, a 115 would be useless with a 410HLF. The HLF goes lower and is way louder. So I'd get a 610HLF or a 410HLF by itself.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yo, get a regular 410he and a 15e.

i don't think the 3 pro can not do 2ohms. so it's either a 610hlf, a 410hlf or a 410he+15e.

i just picked up a mint usa 410he and 15e from craigslist.org for $675.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    +1 on the hlf cabs going lower then a 15.

if you are going to choose between a 410hlf and a 610hlf, go with the 610. you won't kill your chances of having kids every time you hit a crack in the pavement with a 610.

6. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I played the 3-pro through both the 410 and 115 just fine at GC...so I don't know. I think you're right about it not being able to go down to 2 ohms...but it seemed to work just fine at GC. But I think I like the idea of the 610 because it is a lot cheaper! Keep the advice coming. I'm a noob to amp heads and cabs as in the past I've only had a Fender Rumble 100 (which isn't cutting the mustard for obvious reasons).

7. Yeah, it will work fine for a while, until you are in the middle of the most important gig of your life and then POOOOOOOF!!!!!!!...whoever hooked that up doesn't know what they are doing...or doesn't care....either way I would stick with the 610HLF or 410HLF....sounds better then the 410HE +115HE IMO...and I have had them all.

The 410HLF goes lower than any other Ampeg cab IIRC....which is what I have now....although I would love to get a 610HLF!

8. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Oh yeah, they also have an old school ampeg 8x8 for under $500 but it's probably like moving around an old fridge...I'll probably play through it tomorrow anyway.

How does the 410hlf go lower then the 610hlf...I don't get that?

9. One of those 8x8s were just on eBay...I would love to get one of those...I have played through the SWR Henry the 8th and it sounds pretty cool...so I would expect the same from the Ampeg...I would hope anyways.

10. The 410HLF also goes lower than the SVT810

11. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Why does the 410 go lower though...I don't understand that? Does it have a better port system?

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    because it is ported. 810's are sealed cabs. very tight bottom but the hlf series delivers A LOT of bass.

13. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for all the help guys. I played through the 410, 610, and 8x8 at GC. I decided to go with the 610 because I just liked the sound I got out of it better. The 410 didn't seem to push nearly as much and the 8x8 actually sounded kind of lifeless...I don't know how to explain it. I figured it I got the "refrigerator" 8x8 it would have to sound amazing...it didn't :-( So I'm pretty happy with the way the 610 sounded...and it was on clearance since it had a small scratch in the tolex (not all the way through, but you can see it if you look closely). Ampeg also has $100 mail in rebate right now on the 610hlf, so I'm pretty happy about that.*

14. The 610HLF is a great cab, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    qft

16. Hey Nicfargo! A couple of things...
    The 410hlf is about the best 410 you can buy. That being said, it is STILL only a 410. That being said, buy the 610 for one simple reason...it moves more air. It is simple physics. Big bass tone is a result of a large column of moving air...multiple drivers moving in sequence. If they are the same size, the drivers will send a uniform sine wave. A 610 will produce a rather large sine wave, much larger in fact than the 410 and 115 could. A 410 can move about the same amount of air as a 15, but when you combine the larger cabinet with two more drivers, the 610 will move about the same amount of air as four 15s would. In other words...610= huge sound a 410 will not be the same. As for those claiming that the 410 produces a lower frequency response than the 610, they are technically right, but that is artificially inflated because of the ports on the front of the 410 cab. Do not be fooled...the 610 (because it is sealed) is a pressurized environment and will thus be infinitely tighter and cleaner.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    He did.

18. Sorry. I own a 610HLF and it's a ported cab.

Maybe you got in confused with the oft talked about NV610, which is sealed.

:hyper:

19. Hey Nicfargo! A couple of things...
    The 410hlf is about the best 410 you can buy. That being said, it is STILL only a 410. That being said, buy the 610 for one simple reason...it moves more air. It is simple physics. Big bass tone is a result of a large column of moving air...multiple drivers moving in sequence. If they are the same size, the drivers will send a uniform sine wave. A 610 will produce a rather large sine wave, much larger in fact than the 410 and 115 could. A 410 can move about the same amount of air as a 15, but when you combine the larger cabinet with two more drivers, the 610 will move about the same amount of air as four 15s would. In other words...610= huge sound a 410 will not be the same. As for those claiming that the 410 produces a lower frequency response than the 610, they are technically right, but that is artificially inflated because of the ports on the front of the 410 cab. Do not be fooled...the 610 (because it is sealed) is a pressurized environment and will thus be infinitely tighter and cleaner.

20. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks musicandenglish, but I think megadan is correct and the 610hlf is ported. IIRC the 810e is sealed. I can clearly see the ports at the bottom of the cab in most pics. I'm pretty excited about my new 610hlf...now if my fellow TB'er Scott would express ship the SVT-3pro I bought off of him for no extra cost :-D