Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 610hlf or Henry 8x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fingerman, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Wondering peoples preferances, opinions wouls run 300 watts into either . Thanks

2. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I can't speak for the 8 X 8, but when I was looking for a new cabinet I played through the 610HLF and it sounded pretty damn good. (I just needed a 410, so I got the 410HLF instead...although the 610HLF sounded better...).

Just to make a meaningless generalization, I've never really liked any of the SWR cabs i've tried.

I'd say, just try them both out first with your head and your bass -- that should clear things up.:D

3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i have not played an 8x8 tho i would be very interested in doing so.

i do own the 610hlf and i can say that it is exceptional...not only sound wise - but it's easy to move around with a towel bar, wheels, and skid rails.

that may be a consideration for ya!

-erik

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm in the same boat. Haven't heard the SWR but love my 610 hlf. It is easy to move around until you run into a stair case, then it's best to have help. Many dings and rips in the tolex on mine after only about a year but hey it's an Ampeg they're supposed to look like that right?:D

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    leaving out the goliath sr in this shootout is a bad move. it's leaps and bounds above those two cabs in tone (IMO) and in volume (110 db spl!!), doesn't cost much more, and is lighter than lots of 4x10s.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I was wondering why the Goliath Sr. was left out, too. Between the 610HLF and Henry 8x8, as much as I would love to say the Henry is better, if you want to go with much more power later on, the Ampeg would let you use a good bit more power than the Henry.

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    When I was cabinet shopping earlier this year I tried out the 610-HLF and loved it. I ended up getting a Genz Benz 610 instead, but that ampeg cabinet was damn nice. I would also say that the tone of those two brands is very diffferent, so if you were to A/B them the real winner might present itself to you.

To be fair I've never liked SWR cabs. too bright, not enough low end for my taste. However I've heard the henry is very thick on the bottom end, and I've never heard (or seen one) in person

Based on power concernts I would also go with the 610 though. 6x10 is my favorite speaker configuration so far.

8. Hey, where could you buy an ampeg 610, or at least try it, you guys have inspired me :D

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i've had extensive AB time with the sr vs. the henry, and i like the senior better in every way. even though the henry may have a bigger bottom, its sensitivity is too low and it's power handling too low for you to be able to make it a useable bottom in a live, loud situation. i'll put it this way: 1000 watts into a henry felt just as loud as 260 watts into my senior.

and the senior has PLENTY of low end.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I liked the 8x8 a lot but was concerned about power handling (I use a lot more than 300W). I owned a Goliath Sr. for awhile, and was very happy: as loud as all get out, good solid tone. People say SWR cabs are too bright... they're too bright for me with the tweeters turned all the way up, but that's the thing, you can turn the tweeters down or off completely.

I recently bought a Bergantino NV610 and sold my Goliath Sr. The Bergantino is a rather different beast: it's sealed (not ported) and has no tweeter, and sounds a lot like the old Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabinet but with slightly wider frequency response. If that sounds interesting to you perhaps you could look into one, but Bergantino distribution is pretty narrow so easier said than done.

11. medmed

medmed

Dec 28, 2011
    I have a V4BH running out of an SWR Henry 8x8. Would it make more sense to use this amp on a 410hlf?