1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 610HLF Speaker Wire Harness..??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by decades, May 4, 2013.

1. decades

decades

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm in the process of resurrecting a 30 dollar Ampeg 610HLF (with blown speakers) and would like to know where I can order the speaker wires: it's the wires with the 4 prong plug from the crossover to the speakers. I guess I can wire it from scratch but don't know where to find the 4 prong plug that will connect to the crossover. Is the 4 prong plug a standard part that I can purchase somewhere? if so, where? I will be contacting Ampeg to see if I can purchase the whole speaker wire harness (incl. the plug) Otherwise, I'm wondering if there are other options. What has crossed my mind was forgetting about the plastic 4 prong connector and just wiring straight female "bullet" connectors from the pins on the crossover to the speakers and tweeter. Will this be ok?

Also, the cabinet is missing ALL of the screws. Anyone care to make it easy on me and give me the size screws I need to mount the speakers and crossover plate. I saw some #8-3/4" wood screws at the local hardware store that might work. ??

I believe the holes for some of the screws are a bit enlarged. Will the toothpick trick work?

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The easy solution is to solder the wires directly to the pins. It will not degrade performance. The plastic connector is only there to make manufacturing easier.

3. decades

decades

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks! I'll forget about the plastic connector...Though, I might go with individual pin connectors at the end of each wire.

Anyone know if the toothpick trick is an acceptable fix for enlarged screw holes?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it is. However, I will also stick some wood glue in there when I plug holes with a toothpick. Also, I learned a cool trick from a dude who used to tech for Mick Ralphs of Bad Company and Billy Duffy of the Cult...cut a piece of unwound guitar string the length of the hole depth, and stick that in there as well.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    or just forget the crossover and wire it like a normal cabinet without tweeter.

drill out the existing holes and use T nuts and threaded screws