Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 610hlf

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whitmore, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    I was wondering what you guys think of it and the reasons for either point of view.

Thanks

2. I heard taht it sounds like the ampeg 8x10 + a horn. But in my opinion, horns are a no no fro bass, so u can think what u want.

3. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I have one and I like it.

4. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I have one also, but after my FIRST gig last weekend, I realized that 450 watts just doesn't make it come alive. You're gonna need some juice to make it sing right. I'm currently looking to upgrade to either the SVT-CL or the 4-Pro...

5. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    Mayby try the HLF410.

6. I have both an 810 and a 610HLF.
    I find it to be a very close cousin to the 810.
    In some rooms it can be boomy, much more so then the 810.

I made dense foam plugs for the vents which when utiilzed with the tweeter off, makes it fairly indistinguishable from the 810. The plugs/reduce/eliminate the boominess.

I'm considering replacing my 810 with a 2nd 610HLF

7. does that not damage the speakers because they were meant for a ported cab?

8. Not according to the folks I consulted prior. They did warn against pumping more bass and volume into it to make up for the reduced bass from the cab. Other then that, no issues.

9. yet 300 will ? :smug:

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think i'm going to try the closing up the ports with foam. what kind did you use?

i like my 610hlf. i dont think it sounds like my 8x10 did, but thats ok. its very bassy. but i guess thats what you get with a ported cab.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    No need to be a MEANY :D , you know good and well the CL is more powerful than the 3Pro...

12. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Whoa, man, chill. No need to be calling people dicks around here.

The fact of the matter is, the -CL has 300 watts, and the -3Pro 450. The 450 is more powerful. Now, the CL may sound louder, of course, but that has no bearing on which is more powerful.

13. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Ok whatever, it sounds a lot better. There was no need for him to start with me, I said nothing to him, or against him. Only point I was making...

14. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    He didn't start with you. You called him a dick.

15. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    "You are right and I am wrong" Are you satisfied now? Feel better about yourself?

16. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I suggest you read rule #1 in the TOS. No one "started anything with you." He suggested that the cl has less power than the -3Pro. And you called him a dick for it. See where the problem here lies?

17. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Fixed, please see above. Alert the forum police that the case has been closed... :rolleyes:

18. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    For what it's worth, I put 1600 watts into my SVT-610HLF. It can kill babies at a hundred yards. ;)

19. Dense white used in packaging up heavy items in boxes. It's kind os "sealed" in that I couldn't pass air through the cells like you can with foam rubber and styrofoam.

I can probably get you some if needed.