ampeg 6x10 blown speaker - help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Apr 25, 2003.

1. yeah, i blew a speaker. it is 6 ohms, or so it says on the speaker itself. i was wondering if i could just get an 8 ohm speaker and put that it it's place or not? or can anyone point me in the direction of where to locate a single 6 ohm 10 inch speaker?

thank you
  2. No, an 8 ohm speaker will not work. It would throw the whole cab off and could possibly damage your amp. Go to and ask the experts on the contact page. If that doesn't work go to a local store that handles ampeg and see about getting a new speaker.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    There's a WHOLE lot more to speakers than impedance (ohms) and how many watts they'll handle.

A WHOLE lot more. Can't stress that enough.

I'd recommend you get your existing speaker reconed. You really can't just pop any 6 ohm speaker in there and retain the performance of the cabinet. Besides, reconing is probably cheaper than buying a new speaker that is anywhere near the quality of the original.

One place that sevices Ampeg speakers......

Orange County Speaker

I'm sure there's lots of "ampeg speaker recone" or check your local music stores.....
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    More than likely, that speaker was custom built for Ampeg by Eminence. They supply like 90% of the entire industry. Even if it wasn't, I'd trust their recommendations for speaker service.........

Click Here......
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Erik you answered a question that I've wondered about for a while now...what impedance speakers does Ampeg use in a 6x10 cabinet to get a cabinet impedance of 4 ohms?

To get 4 ohms, they must connect pairs of speakers in series (6 + 6 = 12) then connect the three groups in parallel (12/3 = 4).

You could subsitute an 8 ohm speaker, the cabinet's nominal impedance would increase to about 4.2 ohms and the 8 ohm speaker would get slightly less power than the others.

However, to enjoy the low end booty of the Ampeg 6x10, which is achieved through proper matching of speakers and cabinet, you should have the original speaker reconed to 6 ohms or buy a replacement (you should be able to get one from SLM aka Ampeg).

The 610 isn't that old...could you get the speaker replaced under warranty?

Good luck!
  6. thaqnk you for all the help. so, i CAN have an 8 ohm replacement, correct? im not saying that is what im going to do, im'm probably going to get the speaker reconed, but i still wante to know if an 8 ohm would be alright.
  7. Don't use an 8 ohm speaker. It would make noise, but it would not be alright. No sense in trying hard to make something wrong, when it's easy to do it right.

Call ampeg, find a ampeg speaker recone shop. Don't put in a speaker w/ completely different characteristics from the 5 that are there. Super bad idea.

Do it right.
  8. gotcha.

when i get it fixed, anyone interested in buying it from me? or trade for some avatar stuff :)
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If ohms was the only speaker spec the yes. However there are a lot more the speakers than just the ohms, Bruce wasn't kidding. Go to the Eminence website and have a look at the "Thiele Small Parameters" of any of their speakers. There's a lot of data there and ohms in only one of them.......