Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 6x10 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Biggen, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Biggen

Biggen Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    OHIO
    Hello everyone,
    This is my first post on the talkbass forum so hopefully some of you can give me some help. I have a Sunn 300T head and Sunn 410 cabinet but I absolutely hate the cab, they are made very poorly! I'm kind of interested in the Ampeg svt-610 6x10 speaker cab and was hoping some of you out there might own one and be able to give me some advice/reviews??

I like the fact that it's 4 ohms because most heads are if I ever decide to switch to a smaller head. Also the size seems nice, not too big, not to small. I mainly want to know what the difference in sound will be between 6x10 and all other 10 cabinets. Does it have more bass or more treble? Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

2. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Biggen-I have the SVT610 and I am very happy with it. I use an SVT3PRO for power. I am very happy with the cab. It has a lot of bottom end to it and handles the growl of the head. I believe the bottom two 10's are ported for a little extra bottom end. I play in a drop D-flat and it all comes out clearly with no breaking up.

The only thing I cannot comment on is the tweeter. I don't notice any difference between having it turned down and cranking it up all the way. It works, I just can't hear it making a difference in my sound.

I love how portable it is for a 125lb cab. Just rock it back onto the casters and it has the big ol' handle on it for control.

3. Biggen

Biggen Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    OHIO
    Hi FTK,
    Thanks for the info. I'm planning on finding one in town this weekend in a shop to try out. Is it pretty solid, does the cabinet rattle much? That's the problem I have w/my Sunn cab. Especially with the metal Grill, it rattles really bad at high volumes and sounds awful. Thanks again!

4. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey, Biggen.

I've been renting an Ampeg SVT-610HLF cab this week as an experiment. So far, I've rehearsed with it twice and gigged with it once, all at quite high volume. This seems to be a great unit. No rattle whatsoever, and the bass response is very good.

It's also surprisingly portable. Not only does it have the roll bar and casters, but it also has two spring loaded handles on each side for extra handling in unique vehicular loading situations, or lifting up onto a stage.

Later today, I'll be heading down to the music store to seal this deal.

5. Biggen

Biggen Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    OHIO
    Hey Winston TK,
    What is a good price to pay for one? I haven't found one in town and I think Musicians Friend has them for around $850. I really need to try one out but I'm totally digging the idea of getting this cab. Thanks for your review!

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ditto to what everybody else said about the cab. I paid $800 cash out the door (tax paid) at my local Ampeg dealer. He may have given me a break on the price because I had recently purchased an ampeg B4r from him. I have heard that the 410hlf has more low end but don't know that for a fact. I'm happy with mine. Pretty portable for it's size and weight but going up stairs is a little rough. That's why I have my 2 bag End S15-d's for when I need something a little more portable.

7. FTK

FTK

Apr 24, 2002
    Wa. State
    Biggen- No rattles at all. It is as solid as you can imagine. I have had mine for only 6 months. I don't know what it will sound like in 5 years, but I would expect it to sound the same.

I bought mine from American Musical Supply. I think I got it for $800. I had to pay a small shipping charge too, but if I remember right, it was only like $35 all the way to N.W. Wa. state.