Ampeg 6x10 for Metal: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrevorCJ, Apr 29, 2012.

1. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    I play bass in a heavy metal band and I want to get an Ampeg 6x10. I run My ESP ltd bass<wireless<korg dtr1000<BBe sonic maximizer<Ampeg b2re with an Ns2 noise suppressor through the effects loop. I want a good low end that you can feel that shakes the house but want a good high end at the same time.

2. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Id go for it man. The 6x10 would be tighter than the 8x10. More power to the drivers and have more balls to the sound. Not a big ol' 8x10 but not a little 4x10. Just right, good metal bass tone, scooped mids and boost the lows and highs.

4. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    Yeah I mean I need the space and I've played the 8x10 and the 6x10 backto back and I'm sort of leaning towards the 6x10 because it has more tone to it in my opinion I just wanted to hear someone elses opinion

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The 610HLF sounds like it's up your alley then. Won't be quite as loud as the 810e but it does have a pretty big bottom end and good treble response.

6. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    Well I play shows every weekend and a majority of the time I'm miced up anyways

7. its a great cabinet that i'd feel comfortable using for straight ahead jazz, rock, funk, metal, anything. nice deep side, with punchy 10" speakers.

its not the best cabinet for metal though :bassist:

8. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    I'll probably take my rack back to guitar center and try it out.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Probably your best move. The 610hlf or 810e cabs are great choices for metal bass tones.

On a side note, why do you need the Ns2 or the BBE unit? I think your tone would improve without those two items. How is that B2RE working for you? If it sounds good to you, then rock it hard. Otherwise, the sky is the limit for other heads that could POSSIBLY sound better to your ears......

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Why have 6, when you can have 8 ,oh my gosh its so great.

11. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    The BBe brings my the extra high end I want with a little bit more low end that I don't use so much but it can give it a really dirty growl. The head gives me some buzz that the ns2 takes out when through the effects loop and somewhat tightens the tone up for me. My band has slot of stops in the songs that we like to keep silent and the buzz would be heard. I absolutely love the head but I wouldn't mind upgrading but not until the future.

I played the 8 saturday night and it took some of my high end away that I usually get it with other cabinets and added more low end than I wanted

12. Playing mic'd is ideal, you want tone at the lowest volume you can live with. Dispersion is everything but fridges pump a beam of them straight ahead and sod all anywhere else. The lows from your stage rig either have to be the lows for the whole room or else less is more. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the fridge?!

How many people are you playing for, max, without a PA?

13. TrevorCJ

TrevorCJ

Apr 29, 2012
    When we play shows without getting miced it usually will be around like 150 people max meaning it's a smaller venue but we've also played for 1500 people in one o the largest venues in the area

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021