1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 6x10 mated with a 15???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmosesbass, Feb 29, 2008.

1. tmosesbass

tmosesbass

Jun 5, 2007
    I guess my question would be is there a way to rewire the 6x10 so that it has a 8 ohm rating?? of course the other direction would be to buy a 4 ohm 15. And has anyone tried out this combination?? curious to how its gonna sound...........any suggestions would be appreciated...By the way I use a Mesa Boogie 400+ head.

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    If you wanted the Ampeg SVT 15E, it's 8 ohms - but you can rewire to 4 ohms.

I think that a single 15 would get drowned out by the 610. Especially if they are being driven by the same amp.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    And by rewire you mean put a new driver in? :confused:

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Get another 610 or a SWR Henry 8x8. I really don't think a 15 can compete with the bass a 610HLF puts out.

The other option is to sell the 610 and get a 810.

Adding a 15 to a 610HLF is going to make the 15 sound mousy.

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    why are you asking about this? I mean what are you trying to acheive?

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    You'd need a 2x15 cab to make it useful with a 6x10. I'd hate to be your back but I'd love to be your orthopedist ;)

7. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    you would need two 115s or a twin 15 cabinet.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    No. The drivers in that cab are 6 ohm wired series/parallel. You'd have to replace all the speakers to make it 8 ohm.

Get a 4 ohm 2x15 cab if you really want 15's on top of the 6x10, it would probably sound a lot better than a 1x15.

9. tmosesbass

tmosesbass

Jun 5, 2007
    thanks for all the help..........with all the help that was provided, im giving up on the 6x10 1x15 configuration.

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    IMHO, the best speaker combo for a rig like that is a 15" on bottom and a 2x10 on top and stacked vertically or a 4x10" on top. I'm partial to the 2x10 because I like my speakers in a column.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I use an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF & two Ampeg SVT 15E's. Seems to even out the sound very well.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Likewise on the vertical, and likewise on the balance matching. A good fifteen can easily keep up with a 210 in volume/balance depending on impedances of each cab and whether one is using a dual-channel power amp or not, and often can make a great contribution to a 410 - if it's a good driver in a large enough cab. If not, might as well just stick with more Tens ; }