1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 6x10 v.s. 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spencer, Jan 2, 2007.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Well I currently have 1 avatar 2x10. I really like the tone of the sealed 8x10E but don't like the size... How the the 6x10 compare tonewise? I know its ported and has a tweeter but what do ya think? I can always throw my 2x10 on top of it to get a 8x10 but Im just worried it won't sound as good as a seald 8x10..

Reason Im asking is guitar center has one right now new condition but used for 599.. Im intrested.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Lets make two threads out of this...

How would two 4x10HE's compare to 1 8x10E?

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The tone is close. 610hlf - The low end will seem a little looser and not as tight as the 810e. The extra tweeter on the 610hlf can be turned off or decreased to your taste. When I tried the 610hlf, I really liked it. At that time I owned an 810e and I really felt I did not downgrade my tone by playing through the 610hlf with an SVT Classic. It really did sound like a smaller version of the 810e. Others will say it doesn't..... Give it a try at Guitar Center and see if you like it. If you do like the tone, but want more low end, the SVT 410hlf is the next best choice. The SVT Series speakers all employ the same 10" speaker - just different enclosures. Can't go wrong with $600 - excellent deal!

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I own a 6x10 and love it! It sounds great with my pre/power setup and my Traynor tube head, but I did get it for like $300. :)

the only real 8x10 Ampeg I've played through was backline at a club in Birmingham, AL and it was paired with one of the smaller Ampeg heads (BR2 maybe?)....it didn't sound too good IMO, it didn't have the low end my 610 has. But in all honesty my Eden 4x10 blows away all three of them from my personal experience and tone preference, plus it's lighter. ;)

4. I've a 300 tube amp & a SVT410HLF= heapsa bottom end!!!
    Are U saying U can get a 6x10" used at that price? or an 8x10"??? Sorry for being a goon! :cool: The ported HLF cabs are able to go Lower-freq. wise I think, than the sealed cabs. So- good if U R playing 5 string etc.. The bottom end is still TIGHT as.... on the Ampeg SVT-4 or 6- x 10"HLF's. I know others will probly chime in & dispute, but it's still a great arse end!:p I have a sealed 4x10" cab I use also, either with the SVT410HLF or by itself, & IMHO the HLF is fractionally 'looser' but far FATTER:D

5. isn't the 610hlf partially sealed?

6. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario

No. The lateral braces across the cab have two large ports each, so the entire cabinet is ported.

7. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    I own a ampeg 610 and i would have to say that my lows are a bit messy, although, you still have that mid punch. Imstill screwing around with mine. Only had it a week. I run a mark bass sa450 head as well.:)

8. I own and use the 6x10hlf almost all the time, unless I rent something.

I just A/B the 8X10 and the 6X10 at my local music store for the second time. I used a P-bass, Jazz bass, and a SVT CL. I know the guys at the store so they let me play around for about an hour each time.

I found the 6x10 had a tighter, more focused, midrange sound compared to the 8x10, at what I consider normal giging volumes gain=5, volume=5. My tone controls were set on Bass=noon, mid=slight boost, High=8 with no ultra high or low.

I alway read that the 6x10 gets "looser" or "sloppy" in the low end, but I found the complete opposite to be true compared to the 8x10. That is unless you are cranking the crap out of them. the 8x10 seem to stay tighter in the low end at that kind of insane level.

I would not trade my 6x10hlf for the fridge. It is missing that buttery, sealed cab hump that the fridge has, but to me the advantages of the 6x10 out way that.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My SVT810E sounds so smooth and buttery that when I use it, I dont miss having ports or horns at all. The cab growls and sings and cuts through like nothing else. It may not be my first choice for low volume practice but in a jam or live setting, it cant be beat. I'm tired of booming, sloppy cabinets and the punch of 8 10's is something to experience!!!

10. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Well since it looks like I blew a speaker on my 2x10 I need a new cab.. Guitar Center near me has one for 599 but I think I can't talk them down to as little as 500$ Should I get this one and save myself the wait of finding a 8x10 on ebay near me and the backach of moveing the 8x10.. Or should I wait?...

11. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    610 dude, unless you like back problems

12. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You can ALWAYS use rubber plugs to seal the ports on the 610 and turn the tweeter off... making it sound like an 810.

13. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    What type of music are you playing? I play pretty straight ahead rock and the 810E is perfect for that. It gives a nice mid-range growl with plenty thundering lows. If you are playing with a 5-string or music that requires very deep lows (jazz, reggae, pop, etc.) I would probably suggest one of the HLF cabs. If you're playing in the rock vein go with an 810E. There's a reason that that cab is used my most backline companies and touring rock bands.

14. Great, now's my opportunity to ask.

How do you guys transport 610 & 810s?!!!!

15. They are a tilt back design so they are pretty easy to move about, as long as your moving it down somewhere thats at least a little wider than the cab (taking them up narrow stairs isnt fun)

Most of them will fit in the boot of a car with the back seats down.

16. Is that safe? I mean, will the speakers be able to handle that??

17. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Im sure the speakers can handle it. BUT It wouldn't sound the same as a 6x10 designed to be sealed. Sealed boxes require less space inside the box while ported are normally designed a little bigger for more room in the box..

18. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    does ampeg make a 6x10 cab that is sealed or are they all ported. i am currently using a 4x10 and a seperate 2x10 and was hoping to someday upgrade to one single ampeg 6x10 cab but if they are all ported i will probably choose not to do this i personally like the sound of a sealed cab better. thanks

19. All ampeg 610s are ported as far as im aware

20. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the only sealed 610 that I know of is the Bergantino NV610.