Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 6X10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Yesterday when I was at the Mars music the salesperson told me that the Ammpeg rep was just there and he dropped off some new brochures. Included in there was the SVT610hlf. I cant remember if it had a tweeter, but it sounds like a good choice for me, I love the 4x10 but want a 8x10, and this is the best of both worlds. I would get the swr but they are a bit too expensive for me. Has anyone else heard about these? The new brochure also got rid of the extreme series and replaced them with a single 15 and tweeter enclosure and a 4x10 and tweeter encloser that had what looked like a handle on the bottom that can be folded out like a stand to tilt the cab. NICE STUFF. On the dustcap of these speakers ther was the ampeg logo, looked pretty nice.

2. Hey Jim!!I didn't know Ampeg was making a 610 cab.Wow!!! There is a Mars Music near my parents house and if the store is open on Martin Luther King Jr's holiday,I'm gonna check it out and post my review. I was going to buy the SWR Goliath Sr but as you've said,it is kind of pricey.Glad I saw this thread.

3. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    Hey Jim,
    Did the brochure show any new amps?
    Did you see a 2x12 cabinet in the brochure?

Thanks,
    Greg P

4. They didn't have a 2x12 but they did have a new line of combos that were called "digital"...They had effects that were similar to the newer line of Crate amps. They had foot swithces to go through the effects. other than these things the product is the same.

5. That figures, like Crate! Take a Great name- sell it a bazillion times, change the stuff (Big $$$ on R&D & patents) every year, make it more and more like Crate. Great! Run a ledgendary part of rock in to the ground!

6. Well actually St.Louis Music owns both Crate and Ampeg if I'm not mistaken.As far as the quality of Ampeg is concerned,they still seem to put out good gear.It's Crate that's getting the much needed make over.There's always room for improvement,just look at Peavey.I remember when Peavey first came out,they've come a long way and they can only get better;I hope it's the same with St. Louis Music.
    However,I don't blame you for feeling that way.CBS never loved Fender the way Leo did.