Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg 70's B25B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davo737, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've recently found an old ampeg B25B bass cab. From what I can tell, its somewhere between a '75 and '80. Does anyone know the specs or any other information about this thing? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
    Davo

2. Here's what I know:

1.(2) 15" speakers

2. probably no more than 100 Watts rating

3. I want one to go with my B25B head!!!! :D (You don't want to give it to me do you?)

Here's a complete B25B stack on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=456316597

If you are going for the coolest bass sound on earth (circa 1974), it's the perfect cab. If you are trying to get the "modern" sound, it's probably not what you're after.

Chris

3. Davo737,
    According to the Ampeg book,
    "The Story Behind the Sound",
    The B25b is rated at 55 watts.
    The design concept is identical to the B25 which is the guitar version. The B25 has a similar circuit to the B18 Portaflex. Odd that the B25 has no reverb though ????
    The difference would be in the speakers, the book does not elaborate, but I would think the B25b would use an upgrade maybe, Altec.
    IMO,This would be a great amp for low level gigs or recording. If you score the 2-15 cabinet you may need a dolly to transport the beast around.

4. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks a ton for the info guys. I must say, I'm a bit dissapointed in the 55 watt rating. Although I usually go through the house PA and never have to crank my head that loud, I would like a bit more head room in the cab. Great sounding cab, though. Throbbinut, to be honest, I'm not perticularly attached to it. If I could find a cab I'm pleased with to replace it, I would be willing to sell it to you.

Regards,
    Davo

5. Oh, you want to SELL it to me. :D

I was kind of thinking of it as a donation to the Better Bass for Chris Foundation, myself.

Chris

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes, I would imagine shipping charges would be rough. How's this, I'll donate it as soon as someone makes a similar donation to my "cause".