1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 70s oddball SBT powered cabs and Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Having never seen one of these before, I thought it post worthy. It reminds me of the old Bruce Amps. I remember back when I first saw the Accoustic Amps I didn’t realize the power amp was in the cab either.

62D04E8B-94FF-40F7-B1EE-6E9CD4CDA8B3. 3936C50F-7DA6-483A-B1FE-88257B432439. 89531132-A353-4D23-9EB0-EBB2D79DA625. 6A247661-85C2-447C-AB23-785C0041B0AD.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    BadExample likes this.
  2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I remember when it was released.

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I remember those from back in the day. Don't know anyone who had that rig though.
    So I assume the power amps are solid state but what about the pre - is the pre tube?

Also noticed the owner dropped his meds (last pic). Must need some anti-vertigo meds after standing too close to those 2 cabs!:D

4. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I had that rig for a few years in the 70s, worked fine back then. I would not rave about it, but it was solid loud and reliable. I was touring in a rock band and the gear was handled tough. In and out of trucks every day no cases. Snow,rain etc..
    Preamp on top and the power amps in the cabs.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I have a '69 SBT. It is basically a repackaged SVT design using transistors instead of tubes and a different power supply. I use it as a footpedal feeding into a tube amp.

Check out this video with Jerry Jemmott using one. He makes it sound pretty good.

SBT 1970's.

BadExample, anderbass and johnpbass like this.
  6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Check out that Shure Vocal Master column! FOH!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  7. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’ve still got an SST 4X12 cab, which I’ve owned since the late ‘70s. I stupidly gutted the electronics from it as a teen, and replaced with an aluminum panel. I used it quite a bit for several years as a bass cabinet, although it was actually a guitar cab. I used it with a V4B. Didn’t know any better. :)

Basically the guitar version of the SBT set-up.

Now it serves as a table and conversation piece. Heavy bugger.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All solid state. I do know one guy who had one...the great George Biondo from Steppenwolf. Said he liked the sound but it would overheat a lot. Seemed to be a common problem after some internet research.

johnpbass likes this.
  9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I actually like the concept. With today's Class D capability, that would certainly eliminate overheating issues. Not sure how popular an Ampeg powered cab would be but I could envision myself throwing my SCR-DI in front of an Ampeg powered cab. Cool I think.

I like George B's work with Steppenwolf - big fan back in the day. I saw them, of all places, at the then newly opened Wildwood (NJ shore) convention hall back in 1970 (IIRC). My brother and I were walking down the boardwalk past the Convention Hall and saw the poster. $3.50 for a ticket! Don't know if he was playing an SBT that night but the bass sounded great!
    Sorry for the thread derail! Back to our regularly scheduled programming!:D

JimmyM likes this.
  10. BagEnd offers powered cabs, with only a minor boost in weight. Run them with your fave preamp or preamp pedal, and add as many cabs as required. This would also lend itself to a dedicated subwoofer for a given range of cabs, although maybe not the ELF/INFRA system that BagEnd offers, though they do offer a self-powered/INFRA-included sub for all that nasty business below 100 hz . . . . . .