Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 70's SVT vs. new SVT AV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Oct 28, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I recently found a deal on a new SVT AV series Ampeg head and after playing it through an Ampeg 6x10 cab I quickly traded my rig and made the new rig happen. I didn't do much investigating though before hand because I just ran into this rig and really fell in love with it.

Are the old SVTs and the new SVT AVs identical amps or have changes been made? If so, what changes and are they good or bad changes?

Are factory tubes on new SVT AVs ok or should I get new tubes?

Thanks.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I find the Groove Tubes that are stock in a SVT-CL, AV, or a V4BH to sound a little thin(compared to other tubes). I really like the way the Svetlana 6L6's sound. They really fatten up the tone. Better lows, smooth mid range, and nicer sounding highs.

3. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That's right 6550's! I have Ampeg V4BH on my mind! I still really like the sound of the Svetlana 6550's. Svetlana tubes are really consistant, and have a more "vintage" vibe to them.

Groove tubes are re-labeled Sovteks/Chinese/Svetlanas. I don't like the sound of the "Groove tube" 6L6's in the V4BH. Replacing them with Svetlana's really fattened the tone up. This leads me to believe they were re-labeled Sovteks. I do however, like the sound of the new SVT-AV/CL's right off the shelf. But that is just my opinion.:)

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe they are the 5881's. They definitely aren't the 6L6WXT's(which are pretty good tubes IMO).

5. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, If I switch the preamp tubes now will it void the Ampeg waranty?

Yeah I was in the band when we switched from RM to Hospital. Are you talking about the show in Viginia?

All the power amp tube names, numbers, and talk is blowing my mind. LOL

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    (Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread...)
    I have a new V4BH- Ampeg states that they use Groove Tubes, mine are Sovtek's.They sound good but wondering....
    A) What would you recommend?
    B) Is biasing an issue if/when replacing?
    c) Really? It would void the warranty?
    Does that suck?

Thanks, We here appreciate your taking time to share your expertise.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thank You again!:cool: