Ampeg 8-10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 25, 2001.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    A friend of mine that works at a music store ran across an older used Ampeg 8-10 Cabinet for 200 bucks. Granted, I haven't had a chance to look at or play it, but this is the condition he described the cab to be in: All the speakers were good and it sounded great, but there was no tolex covering on it, no wheels, and no speaker grill. I intend on going to check out this cab tomorrow as it is a 30 minute trip from my house to see what shape it is in. So here's my question, for an Ampeg 8-10 Cab with all speakers in tact, is 200 a good price, considering the expense of covering it with "Black Fuzzy Stuff", getting the metal corners, which probably could be attained from an Ampeg dealer at a reasonable price, replacing a speaker grill (I think my grandpa has an old piece of metal grill which would probably look badass on a bass cab), getting some new wheels, which could also be attained with the metal corners, and possibly some new handles (not sure about the condition on those)? Is this a good deal and how much would the "BFS" cost?

2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    A speaker grill would look VERY badass on an 8x10. All you need is the little ampeg "a" logo in the corner...
  3. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    $200 is a great price... assuming all the speakers work. Better double check that! And make sure you CRANK it up and listen for anything odd...

You don't neccessarily need to cover the cab either - mine was sanded smooth and stained with wood varnish when i got it... and now that it's covered with stickers, it looks quite punk rock. :)
  4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I went and took a look at the cab today. The outside was still all in tact except the covering, and it still had the speaker cover and the Ampeg logo on the front. You could tell it was a little worn, but all the speakers looked good, not new, but still working. I cranked it up all the way (granted it was only a 100 watt amp) and it sound great. I couldn't pass up this deal for 200 bucks, I felt like I was stealing it from the guy.. Carpet covering is only like 6 bucks for 4'x6' sheet, I need to check on the speaker grill, and it needs new casters. Now all I need is a head. I'm considering the Peavey Nitrobass, but I probably can't get it until I can sell my Carvin PB200-15 and my Epiphone Accubass Jr. Anyways, I'm excited about my new toy even though it's useless now, it looks damn cool in my room. I'll be sure to post some pics of before and after I fix it up.