Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8 x 10 versus 4 x 10 + 1 x 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kupervaser, Jan 23, 2006.

1. kupervaser

kupervaser

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi guys, i want to buy mysoef a bass speaker cabinet, but i can't choose between 8 x 10 and a combination of 4 x 10 + 1 x 15. The problem is that i can't try them anywhere so i can't hear the difference for myself.
    Can anyone help me with this. What will the diffrence in sound will be. What should i get?
    Thanx
    Jeff

www.heavylord.nl

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Greatly depends on which 8x10 and which 4x10 and 1x15...

Do you have a way to haul around an 8x10? Do you really need that much cabinet?

3. i dont remeber the different cab names, im not a huge ampeg fan, but one day i was at a guitar center that actually had all the ampeg cabs hooked up PROPRELY to the cab selector switch.
    anywho, the high(er/est) end ampeg 4x10 alone sounded way better than the ampeg 8x10.
    its also smaller and lighter and cheaper (i think).
    if you want ampeg i would recomend getting the higher end 4x10 over the cheap(er) 8x10 anyday.

-todd

4. get the 410 and 115. Volume will be very very similar, and you dont have to worry about moving around an 810. It may seem ok at first, but unless you have a large vehicle and people to help you at all times, it can quickly turn into a hassle. If you were to get the other two, you would have a big rig for big shows, and a small rig for small shows, as well as cabinets in multiple places to practice so you're not constantly moving your rig about.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    If you like to play loud, and you own a van, I think that there is nothing better than an 8-10. They go way low, and really move alot of air. I have other cabs, but I won't sell my old 8-10. I keep it just hoping for bigger gigs, where I can crank it up. I take it outside in the summer, and practice at high volumes just for the thrill of it. Of course, I live out in the woods, and the cows don't complain much. But I have smaller cabs , because realistically, you need them for the size of the room your in. If you can't afford both, I would also suggest the 4-10, and a single 15. They will go the farthest in cab selection, for room size. Good Luck!

6. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000.

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    +1 !!

Or an older Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x15 :bassist:

8. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Even though the PH 1000 is a kick ass cab, its almost the size of an 810. Pretty darn big

4 X 10 + 1 X 15 is the way to go. Anything that requires more than that will most definately be PA'd, so dont worry about the volume.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "4 X 10 + 1 X 15 is the way to go. Anything that requires more than that will most definately be PA'd, so dont worry about the volume."

I agree - after switching from a straight two 115 rig for many years to a 410 and a 115, I'm convinced that this is tha way to go - for tonal variance, volume, and the versatility to be able to split 'em up, I don't think it can be beaten...

- georgestrings

10. deanthemachine

deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    +1 on the 410+115

ive been using this setup for a while now, and I feel that its the most ideal setup you can have.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have to add that the Ampeg Classic 1x15en cab is absolutely a killer cab. Although on paper it isn't so hot (weight, frequency range), it seems much lighter than the online specs and it sounds great in the band. It has never had a problem accepting power with my head (Thunderfunk TF420).

I also own a 6x10, but since I purchased the 115, I have been able to keep up with my two guitarists (4x12 cabs, soldano slo 100 and a carvin legacy-both 100 watt tube heads) in smaller rooms without any issue at all.

It sounds very warm (but still has some high end) and is fat...or PHAT!

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    +1 ont he 410 + 115. they may be heavier combined than the 810. they may be more cumber some than the 810 at times. But modularity far exceeds big cab dominance IMO. think about it - you could have ONE 810 or a 410+115 stack, a 410 for some gigs and a 115 for some gigs.

there is some mysitque about an 810, but common sense would lend to the modular setup.

my 2 cents,

~M

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    why not try a swr goliath sr 610 or a GK neo 412........Both rated at a 1000 watts or higher.........and a hell of alot smaller the a 810 or even a 410/115.why pack around 2 cab's weighing any where between 55 to 90 pound's?...when you can just have one cab weighing 115 pounds and tilt back wheels and a grab making it the eazest thing to move.and they are both LOUD!!!!!,Check them out,ask around and best of luck in you search!!!!!!

14. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I owned the 810 classic and it was great but there was no tweeter in this model. Moreover, ampeg cabs are not clear, they color the sound like ampeg heads do. Finally, I tried EBS and markbass cabs, and ampeg s ones are not as powerfull as they seem to be.:meh: