1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810 - AV vs Heritage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Been thinking about getting an 810 to use with my SVT-VR and V4B. Trying to decide between getting the 810-AV or getting a Heritage and replacing with an AV grill cloth. The Heritage looks to be 28 lbs lighter, but curious to know if there is a noticeable difference in tone or other advantages it might have over the AV. Anyone?

2. leemelone

leemelone

May 24, 2011
    ATL
    The Heritage has better speakers and is one of the best sounding 810 cabinets has made in years.

kd5uwl, Buster Brown and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, Heritage is the best 810 I've ever player through. Much like an original flatback but with a higher wattage capacity. Given the choice of the two, it's a no brainer.

He only negative about the Heritage is that the tolex is softer and more easily damaged. A cover would be a good idea if you want to keep it looking new.

kd5uwl likes this.
  4. LeftyD

LeftyD Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    The Heritage 810 is not 28 lbs. lighter from what I read. They just left out the shipping weight and stated the handling weight.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Ah - good to know. Thanks for the input, everyone!

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Strange how close they are in price. Which is part of what made me wonder if the Heritage was any better

7. LeftyD

LeftyD Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Also noticed that the Heritage and the anniversary are made from poplar, while the 810e is Baltic birch. Maybe the anniversary grille is more expensive. Those in the know say the heritage is the best one. I've got to believe them. Buy the heritage and put the anniversary grille on it. I get the matching looks part.

8. Traditionally - and I assume it's still the case- the the only difference between the AV and the 810E was the grill cloth.

9. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you get the Heritage cab - change the grill on the head - its a lot smaller then the 810's grill ;)

mbelue likes this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Haha, NEVER! The Heritage grill cloth is a bit too fancy-schmancy for my taste

DaveDeVille and AlexanderB like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Black sparkle is more fancy-schmancy than blue-silver sparkle?

Anyway, for $50 extra bucks, it's a total no-brainer to go Heritage. The regular 810e and 810av sound excellent, but the Heritage is a very noticeable step above. I also agree it's the best cab they ever made. Sounds like an original Flatback with CTS's, but takes a lot more than 250w. Ampeg parts dept should have a separate grill for sale as well for all you anti-black-sparkle wackos :D

mbelue, Geri O, Buster Brown and 4 others like this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    "Anti Black Sparkle Whackos" - yep, that's me. I'll take blue-and-silver anytime. If it was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for me...

:smug:

13. Yeah keep a black sharpie and some superglue handy if you gig the Heritage 810 because as awesome as it sounds that tolex takes a beating. Mine still looks great from the front but the back and even the sides need some regular TLC.

dune2k, TheBear and beans-on-toast like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I keep telling you guys...padded covers! :D

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Every amp and cab should come with a cover. At the very least, it should be an affordable option. Some amps do come with covers.

The last Fender ininstruments that I bought came with a vintage strap, polishing cloth, bridge adjustment tools, and a cord. I like getting these extras. They cost next to nothing but are a nice touch.

I also like getting the toy at the bottom of a box of Cracker Jack.

16. Yeah except I slid mine off a metal outdoor stage and it tipped a little to the side off its rails. Tolex pealed like an orange. I was able to glue it back down but I was sad.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    JimmyM likes this.
  17. I bought covers for my two SVT heads. I figured even if the cabs take a beating I can keep the heads looking good. I just better not drop one!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  18. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    I have a padded cover for my Heritage SVT and it still looks new. Money well spent for sure.

19. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I have them for heads as well. Keeping the dust off them is good. Keeping sunlight off goes a long way to preserving them, the vintage amps that have had covers on them can look ammost like new.

Bass 45 and Mastermold like this.
  20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Covers and cases are always such unsatisfying purchases to me. Don't get me wrong, I buy covers for all my amps and cabs and agree they should come as a standard feature/option, but buying them always feels more like an obligation than a fun gear purchase. Better in the long run though.

bobyoung53 and P-oddz like this.