1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810 cabs differences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Randyt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Quick question: are there are structural or tonal differences between the ampeg 810E and the 810 AV...or are they just visual differences..

thanks

Randyt

2. same exact cab, just different look.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Heritage 810e is different, but the regular 810e and av cabs aren't. The av and Heritage cabs look cooler, though ;)

4. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Thanks Jimmy and guys...
    I went back to the ampeg web page and saw there is a slight difference in weight and the use of US eminence speakers in the Heritage line..is there anything else I missed...

Jimmy what is your take on the differences...if you had your choice ..what would it be...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I haven't played the Heritage yet, but everyone who has tells me it sounds better. Meanwhile, I think the 810e cabs they make are vastly improved from the American models and sound great to my ears. But if I were buying, I'd go Heritage just based on the grillcloth ;)

6. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    I wish someone would make an Ampeg 810 timeline Sticky. Bits of information are spread out over dozens of threads. It would have info about square back production years, the particle board years, ownership transition changes, speaker loading, and so on. Maybe a link to date the serial numbers as well. I have seen most of this info spread over about twenty or so threads a month, but it would be sweet to have a starting point for people doing the research, then be able to focus their more technical or opinion seeking questions armed with this knowledge. I hate not being part of the solution and just another person that has a suggestion, but I am nowhere near an authority on the subject.

If anyone knows Ampeg it is JimmyM. But it is not his responsibility to spread the gospel of knowledge every time.

I would like to see a Sticky based on the facts alone, with a discussion to follow on all the finer points and opinions about sound and tone variations.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They're just going to ask again ;) And I'm still trying to figure it out my own self. I thought that OSB was only used at SLM for a few years at first, but now I'm seeing evidence that SLM was always using OSB until 2006. But there are a lot of those SLM cabs that sound great and are still in use, so make your own mind up about that. The ones with the dark speakers are made from 2000-2006, with the imported cabs from 2007 on switching back to speakers that sound good. At least to my ears...I know some folks who like those cabs better.