ampeg 810 frequency rating

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Feb 1, 2006.

1. i play a four string yamaha tuned c-g-c-f. is an ampeg 810e cab made to handle low c?
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Mine handles the low A on my 5 string just fine. Not sure exactly what the low frequency rolloff is on it, though.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    58 hz-5kz, I know a lot of people play a B, I gues that up to you to decide. I don't remember how many hz a low C is.
  4. No, you won't get the fundamental C 32.70. But you'll get its overtones still.
    EDIT: I see you have one, listen to your low E(41.20). Neither one of these in theory have the fundamental there, you can check against your A string C and D string E to see if you can hear the difference. Off the top of my head I think the most powerful tone is the first fundamental (octave higher) and that's what most people think of when they think of a note anyways (off top of my head, please step in if i'm wrong). I wouldn't be too concerned, just check if u like your sound or not. If you're playing loud (with an 810 i assume so) that low fundamental C is close to the drum bass kick and will get lost/blend in the mix especially if you're locked in with him live.
  5. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Some of you misunderstand speaker frequency response. Just because a speaker rolls off at a frequency of say 100 HZ doesn't mean that there is no response at 32 HZ . It just means that 32 HZ will not be as loud as 100 HZ.
  6. True, but let me say this and feel free to completely disagree with me as this is my personel experience with this cab.
    Since ampeg has a pretty steep rolloff (IIRC from the charts i've seen), the fundamental's power the lower you go will be weaker and weaker. At C I don't have high hopes for it to come thru. Not sure if this design is since it's sealed, I just tried searching but can't seem to find the charts now....
    But also, since in my personel experience the 810 can get boomy at loud volumes too (maybe also because it's sealed) the lower frequencies get lost quite easy regardless of what the response says. EQ helps of course but rolling of the low end will hurt the low even more in a sense. You'll still have your mids cut thru for sure, but this is my experience with it particularly in small clubs where you're forced into the corner or have a hollow stage or something. The charts would help in theory with what it looked like for a C freq but as mentioned, the more powerful overtones are still very important. Just listen if you like the response of the cab to you and the venues u play at.*shrug*
    Don't take me as hating on this cab, I loved it, just traded it for something a little more my tastes in terms of lower freq response.

Oh and one more point i just thought about that hurt me as well as perhaps you. I also personally had issues with my electronics in my bass. Electronics have rolloff points too and that doesn't help the signal either if it wasn't built to handle frequencies that low (yes even five strings with low B have these higher rolloffs sometimes too). Just a thought. *shrug*
  7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It isn't a great idea to push that, especially on a ported cab, but even on a sealed cab.

The rolloff can be indeed steep on a ported cab, not quite as bad on a sealed...

But, the ported cab (traditional 810 is sealed) can not only not produce the sound, it may be damaged.

Below the box frequency the port and box do not control cone motion, so the speaker can "flap" uncontrolled. The cone just pumps air back and forth thru the port, and any sound energy is mostly cancelled. A few watts can damage a speaker there.

A sealed cab controls cone motion better, and can work to its motion limits (Xmax), actually producing sound. That is roughly how the ELF systems work, sealed box, and EQ to compensate for rolloff.

But there are possible problems due to the motion limits. The traditional 810, for instance, has relatively limited cone motion, and low power speakers. It is perfectly possible to bang the voice coils on their magnets with too much power at lows, which makes a loud "crack" noise, and isn't too good for them.