1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810 Fridge and Appliance Dolly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ETThompson, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Hi

I wonder if anyone's tried moving a fridge down a set of stairs using an appliance dolly? I'm working on getting an Ampeg fridge, and the stairs to the basement are very tight. I originally was going to build a ramp, but for various reasons it just won't work. A friend suggested an appliance dolly, which is a good idea. Only issue is at the top of the stair the landing is tight, and moving it from the angled position (coming up the stairs) to vertical could be challenging. But may be my only option.

If you have an appliance dolly you've used and liked, send a link.

My wife, who is already opposed to the fridge, ain't gonna be helping with that at 2 in the AM.

Related question: could I leave it outside, even in winter? I live in Ohio, so it does get cold, though not Minnesota cold...

Thanks for any thoughts on this...

--Eric

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Lots of these "live" in unheated garages or cargo trailers. Not a great idea just to tarp it - the rodents will make it into a hotel :nailbiting:.

3. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    An appliance handtruck is a good idea, as long as it is designed to "climb stairs". Some have rubber skids on the back for this. I wouldnt leave it in a freezing cold place , my concern is that when you bring it in to a warm room there will be a lot of condensation on all of th cold metal speaker components and I think this could be a problem.

4. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Looks like the living room is the best option.

vmabus likes this.
  5. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Ha! That will not be happening in our 1400sf house.

6. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    image. There are special handtrucks designed to navigate stairs, with a cluster of three wheels where you'd normally see one.

grenadilla and vmabus like this.
  7. One of my 8 10's has lived in the back of my P.U. truck for over 4 years now. I keep it covered with an old moving quilt but that's all. Never had a problem with it. I have a walk out basement but even with the 8 10 being much easier to load in and out of my truck than a 4 10 , the cab still stays in the truck. The tube head does come in the house after each gig however.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  8. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

9. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    Just do what I did. Buy two. I keep a nice one in the jam room basement, and leave a beat up one in my trailer. That way I never have to worry about the cab at 2 am (or later) after a gig. If you don't have a van, trailer, or truck to store it, just leave it in a garage or shed. Besides, it's better to gig with a beat up used cab, than to beat up a new cab moving it in and out of a basement.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Meanwhile all the furniture your wife bought sits right in the middle of the living room, doesn't it?

:D

Man, stairs are the one thing to put me off a fridge. If we lived in a stair free world, a fridge would be a piece of cake.

TheBear and troy mcclure like this.
  11. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Exactly! How is that fair?

12. First, leave it overnight and bring it in during the day when you are not tired and not going to wake anyone.

As for stairs, going down I let gravity do its thing if there is carpet on them. You gotta be careful it doesn't get the best of you though - you could get steamrollered by the thing, or send it through a wall at the bottom.

Going up - I can't really offer much. It's no fun, but it is doable.

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Make sure it has stair-climber rails behind the wheels...

hl5.

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Recently, I have seen a lot of these vinyl/plastic/poly 'yard boxes' used for storing things like hoses, etc getting bigger and bigger ... I would think that they are large enough to easily fit an 810 ... stand the box up, roll it in, then lay it down just outside your back door ... seals tight, no need to worry about an infestation, and will keep it nice and dry ...

15. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Leave it outside. I've owned several and they all survived Minnesota winters. One stall of my garage had six in it for 2 years.

16. My 6x10 has lived in the garage for three years with no ill effect. Just be sure to put it up on blocks or even 2x4's so there is air flow under the cab. Also, when bringing it in from the cold, be sure to let it acclimatize before powering up.
    Toronto winters I would guess would be worse than Ohio.
    Fishheadjoe

17. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes. I actually had them up on 2x4's whenever stored.

18. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I'll consider leaving it outside, that would be a good option. I'm planning on a Heritage, but maybe I should get a classic so I don't worry.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wouldn't want to leave a Heritage outside. Might leave a beater 810e outside.

mbelue likes this.
  20. ETThompson

ETThompson

Jan 3, 2011
    Arghh, tough call then.