1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810 in Split Mode ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Xandrell, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I have an amp that has 2 speaker outs that say 8 ohms under each output jack. I assume I can't connect a 4 ohm speaker, only 2, 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms. Could I use the 810 in split mode running 2 speaker outs from the same amp? Examples in the 810 manual show 2 separate amps in split mode. Could I also use just the top 410 only @ 8 ohms?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What is the amp? With the vast majority of SS and hybrid amps, this is never a problem, and you can absolutely connect a 4 ohm cab to one speaker out. But it would help to know what amp it is so we can give you a definitive answer because some tube amps are funny about stuff like that.

In any event, yes, you can run your cab as two separate halves using the same amp, or run one half.

3. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Thanks, It's an ENGL Ironbass SS class D with tube pre. The way I'm understanding it is because under each speaker out is stating 8 ohms, it only wants to see 8 ohms in the jacks, or 2, 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms and not one 4 ohm cab.

So I'm assuming using the 810 in split mode is like 2 separate 8 ohm cabs and only using the top is 1 cab at 8 ohms.

It's just a little freaky using 2 speaker outs into 1 cab.

4. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I found it. You're right. One speaker may be no less than 4 ohms. Can't wait for band practice tomorrow with the 810. Not that the ENGL 410 isn't good. It sounds very similar to the Heritage 410 HLF. Then I'll try the SVT 2 Pro with the Engl 410. I vaguely recall hearing even though it states don't use the Pro 2 with a 8 ohm cab, it is in fact OK.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Phew, glad you figured it out because I was stumped and was going to tell you to contact ENGL.

And you are correct about the 2 Pro...the official line on it is you shouldn't use an 8 ohm cab, but I've done it many times with rentals and nothing's ever happened, and Bill Hughes, the inventor of the SVT, says that the power section is grossly overbuilt and will handle a 2:1 impedance mismatch with no problem. Sounds a little compressed IMHO, but it still sounds good. Just set it for 4 ohms and you should be good to go in the ENGL cab.