1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 810 + LMIII tonight.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Jamming at the Blues Shack tonight (it's an old unpainted building set up just for playing in, my bud's old place where the Doolittle Raiders used to come dance when it was a club in the '40s). There is a '70s V4 and '60s 810 there for me to use every Monday night. I love the tone I get from that set-up, whether with my '87 Jazz Bass Special or '01 American Jazz bass, both passive, with flats. We play blues and some flavor of rock/blues that we invent. We're pretty good, actually, but don't have anything going for gigs. But, that's ok, we enjoy jamming. Two of us, including me, have gigs anyway.

So, tonight I deceide to take my Little Mark III head over for grins. It's nice to play it throught something different sometimes. I've done it before with the 810 over there, but kinda forgot what it was like. Well, now I remember. It really sounds good. But, I had a revelation this time---I think. Tell me what ya'll think of this.

I have a feeling that a lot of the sound, maybe most of the sound, I like when playing the V4 and 810 is more due to the 810 than it is the V4. My LMIII still had a tone that was similar. No, it wasn't the same, but there was enough of the tone I like there to give me this impression. I think I'm right, too, because it's not a sound that is readily found while playing my LMIII through my Markbass cabs. I can dial it in to a point, but not nearly as close as what I heard tonight. It's that sealed 810 sound, I'm telling ya. Far as I can tell. It's still that nice chunky, thumpy sound I like, regardless of the ss head. Oh, I could tell it was ss, though, but it still sounded great and in the same world as when playing the V4.

How crazy am I? Am I way off my rocker, or is it just possible?

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    [bump]

3. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Hey I use my lil terror bass 500W with an 810. friggin rulez and it beats lugging around a 90lb tube amp.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Thanks for the reply, slapstick13. The Terror bass is a nice sounding amp. I hear. Yes, and my 500w at 4 ohms seemed a lot bigger with the 810s pushing it out.

Forgot to mention that the 810 has a sorta smiley face eq sound. For the first time ever with my LMIII I could actually boost the low and high mids and still have a relatively round sound. It sounded best in the mix, though, of course, rather than alone.

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    The old 810's had a character that you can't quite replicate anywhere else and they certainly impart it onto whatever you plug in. They're probably my absolute favorite bass cabinet to run a ~100w tube amp into for that very reason. I've even put four of those old CTS 10's in a Marshall 410 for trunk sized vintage Ampeg goodness. I don't like the modern 810E's nearly as much-they just don't sound the same. Anyone who owns or has played a CTS loaded flatback knows what I mean. ;)

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, then I'm not crazy then? This one is a flat back, too. It really did retain the sound I've come to be used to, even though I've been playing the V4 most of the time through it. It's the best tone I've ever had with the LMIII. Lord knows, I wouldn't want to move that cab, though. How lucky that I get to play it every week right where it sits.

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Nope, you're not crazy! You might end up crazy for those cabs if you aren't careful though! I've got to agree you're lucky to get to use it! ;)

Truth be told, they're not all that bad to move. It comes in at ~120 lbs if I recall. If you have a friend around and don't encounter any small stairways, it's a piece of cake. That's coming from a 23 year old with a screwed up right shoulder.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, I'm 62 with lots of pains, and don't need any new ones. I guess if we ever get a gig I can get help. Or just play my rig instead.

9. Yep, there is something to be said for those flatbacks. I'm 51, and have an SVT and a 810 flatback, both in flight cases, and if the gig warrants the oomph, I have no problem moving those things by myself (although it sure is nice to have some help). That's why I always help the drummer load in!

10. I miss my SVT-CL/8x10 setup... but, I do NOT regret purchasing my MB LMT800 head. I've played it through 8x10's as well, and you're right - there is magic in those cabs.

One of my favorite (and least favorite, at the same time) things about my old SVT-CL heads - it didn't make a lot of difference where the knobs where set, it kinda always had that same Ampeg tone, regardless. The same is true with the sealed 8x10 setup, it's got certain mojo that (happily) doesn't disappear with other heads.

One of my favorite features of my LMT800 is that glorious VLE knob. For those that don't know, VLE stands for Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator. Dials out that snap & clang, and dials in the vintage woolliness.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You're right about that VLE knob, Henry. I use it a lot myownself. But with the 810 I didn't seem to need it as much when in the mix. Eq all at noon and no filters sounded just fine. I tried it awhile anyway, though. Still sounded great.