1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 810 mods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DONZI97, Sep 15, 2010.

1. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    I am looking at a slightly beat up ampeg fridge on my local CL for $250, but it's missing th grill cloth, possibly one bad speaker and the tolex is in rough shape, which I know is common, I believe it is late 80's vintage. I was wandering if anyone has ever put a metal grill on one, and where would i get one, or have one made. Also thinking about removing the tolex and replacing it with some leftover duratex I have laying around, maybe swap out the jack with a speakon too. Any thoughts? Anybody else do similar mods?

2. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    as far as the grill, you could get the material from places like mcmaster carr, or parts express. As far as getting one made, you'll see an ad go by at the top of the page for a company that makes them.

Duratex with a metal grill should make for a very modern looking, and durable cab. Have fun!

3. mentalpatient

mentalpatient Inactive

Jun 23, 2009
    mental institutionzs
    Take the bad driver out and see if there is any wadding in there, don't know if they came with or without wadding.

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I ahve the same thing.. Got a gig where i need 810s. Two!
    Found them on CL for $200 each..
    Al speakers are perfect... late 80s,
    Im doing a metal grill.. but before i screw it down I will add some think door insulation self stick rubber trim to stop any possible vibration.. Then Screw it at the edge with wood screw and washer... Duratex coating ..
    Removed the Ampeg logo form grill so it looks like a black box..
    Powering with my Shuttle max 12..
    I tell ya. my shuttle 9 on just one cab can turn the speakers on this cab inside out if i wished to do that..

5. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Just curious, why do i need to know if there is any dampening? Is there some years better than others?

6. Try http://www.reliablehardware.com/customspeakergrill.aspx, they'll make a custom grill for your 810. I believe the opening size is 24-1/2" x 46-3/4".

That reminds me, the tolex is looking pretty ratty on my 810. I need to recover it too....maybe I should use this stuff:
    a3930e86ac190cffb8ead56695c2f538.image.250x250.jpg

7. mentalpatient

mentalpatient Inactive

Jun 23, 2009
    mental institutionzs
    Just that some people like to add dampening when modifying cabinets.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021