1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 810(OSB)w/speakon or 810 Plywood w/ no speakon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapstick13, Nov 15, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I just bought an svt classic 8X10e, the one with speakon connectors. Unfortunatly, after lookin on talkbass, I realized it was made with the osb particle board crap. And definatly darker sounding than some of my friends 810s which are plywood. I have a chance to get another one from the early 90s that is very beat up, but its made out of plywood, but it does not have the speakon connection, only has 1/4 inch.

Question is do I sell mine and get the plywood one wth 1/4inch connection instead of the speakon???? Powering this with my svt 2 pro so I dont wanna skimp!

2. I doubt it will make that much difference. I thought the latest ones were pretty good?

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Which cab you want depends, in part, on what type of music you play. If your volumes are high and the older cab has less power handling capacity, this might be a problem for you.

I would rather have plywood than OSB. It isn't just the darker nature of OSB. I've had castors punch through the bottom of OSB cabinets. It can crack a lot easier if you drop it as well.

You can always install a speakon connector in place of the 1/4" jack on the older cabinet. Maybe you can replace the plate and install a speakon so it is fully reversable if that is what you want to do.

4. Retrofitting a cabinet with a speakon is very easy to do

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Get the plywood cab, change the jack.

6. worst case scenario just use a 1/4 inch cable....?

7. My vote is also for the SLM era cab!