1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810 repair wood and casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ronrule, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ronrule

ronrule

Mar 25, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    So I got an ampeg svt-810pro on craiglist. It's pretty beat up and someone had already replaced the wood under the casters, but there were still two problems:

1. The base of the casters stuck out from the back of the unit and would catch on any steps or door jams. This made moving the fridge near impossible. So my first project was just to install some aluminum strips down the back. That's done and they worked.

but

2. the casters themselves were in really bad shape and a wheel broke on me after a gig last week.

Since I was going to replace the casters (which were 3 inch) with 4 inch, I thought I'd also replace the wood underneath them, since the previous repair was such a sloppy job. I'm no pro, but this was just screws stuck in randomly, and I'm also not sure they got the fit of the wood base correct relative the sides, front and back.

Here are some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9vrttc9ksoh3ygy/JegLNY57A1/ampeg 810 repair

So, recommendations would be helpful. I have plywood, circular saw, drill, countersink and some 4 inch, non-turning casters from the hardware store.

A. I'd like to know how the replacement piece should fit into the cavity -- does this replacement piece of wood "cover" over the bottom, back, and sides or does it sit flush with the existing edges?

B. And what would be the recommended way to attach this to the existing would for it to be solid.

Thanks!

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

A,cover it. make it to cover the back and bottom edges. Leave some overlap. Then you can trim with circ saw to match angles when attached. Make sure those butchered in backing blocks are flush with the side panel edges so you can attach the patch to them too. Use construction adhesive on all those surfaces then screw the new panel into the blocks first. Next Use five drywall screws for each side and drive them into the patch and into the edges of the aspenite osb so the screws enter the edge in the middle of the bottom and side panels. but pre drill the holes with a 1/8 bit. Go slow and the osb will hold them well This will clamp it together while the glue dries. Next fill all gaps with the construction adhesive: it is used to glue sub flooring down; any lumber store has that stuff. This will seal the cab again. Then use the circ saw to match those angles as I said before.

You should use T nuts to attach the wheels solidly to the new panel so carefully fit those before you attach the panel.

3. ronrule

ronrule

Mar 25, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks!

C. Do you think the 4 inch casters will work?

D. When upright, the casters should not be touching the floor, correct?

E. Anybody have a link to some good, cheap, rubber feet replacements? Hardware store only had fairly small furniture sliders.

4. 96tbird

I think 4" are too big but it's your call. Yes the wheels should be off the ground. Check partsexpress.com for feet

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    Best bet for casters, are skateboard trucks and wheels. Sounds stupid but work great!

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    96tbird has it pretty well covered.

I would add that chipboard can crack easily. Pre-drill with a smaller sized bit to prevent cracking when the screws go in. As an adhesive, PL Premium works well.

I've seen the skateboard trucks on an amp that was posted on TB. It looks like they are fantastic.

Some people screw on a metal plate over the board that you are replacing. A machine shop can bend a piece that also covers part of the bottom. Overkill but it adds extra strength. SOme amps have this kick plate.

7. 96tbird

Awesome! Corners will be a breeze and all that stability!

8. I've had luck going to a caster store for wheel replacements on my fridge. I previously picked up more or less the same wheel as the original at a hardware store, but they were rubber and would break ultimately. The synthetic ones with ball bearings I got at the caster store are like butttter!