Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 810 Speaker replacements.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkster, May 12, 2003.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I have a vintage SVT rig and the cab is a 69, Playing through it weekly has blown two of the original 10's, I want to use this amp but not blow the rest of the original speakers.
    I would like to get some ideas on the best 10's and where to get them for this cab so I can preserve the other 6. I would like them to be drop in replacements with no wiring mods.
    Thanks for any help in advance..

Rig in question
    [​IMG]

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That's going to be a problem.............I'm pretty sure that SVT 8x10 speakers are 32 ohm, all wired in parallel to get a 4 ohm load for the cabinet. I don't know of anyone else who uses a 32 ohm speaker, so your only option that will retain your wiring is to get more SVT speakers. You could check some of the speaker repair places that service Ampeg and see what they've got.

If you're willing to consider a bit of re-wiring, you could use 8 ohm speakers in a series/parallel combination to get a total load of 4 ohms. That would open up your possibilities immensly.

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Henry, did you blow them completely - i.e., open voice coils?

I had all eight eminence square magnet speakers out of my '76 cab reconed by WeberVST, and it sounds KILLER. Call him up and see if he can recone all of yours to a higher power handling. It would be cheaper than buying all new speakers, and you'll still have the CTS alnico vibe.

4. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    They can't help you - the only drop-in replacement currently being manufactured is the eminence roundmag. I'd get the old ones reconed. Trust me on this - search for my posts from a year or two ago about SVT driver reconing.

A lot of times the reason they blow is because they're in need of reconing - the suspension gets old and wears out and cone travel increases. My '72 cab has five eminence squaremags and three CTS alnicos. The suspensions on the CTS's are all shot - guess which ones move the most and will blow first?

Call Ted Weber!

5. And totally screw the sound of the cab. Get 'em reconed.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That's what I'm looking into right now, Any recommendations?
    Thanks for your help guy's.

7. FlipTop offers reconing as well:

"Reconing

We are now offering professional reconing of many makes of speakers including Jensen, JBL, Eminence, Altec, CTS, EV and more. Contact us for pricing on your speaker. Where possible you may have a choice of a generic or OEM recone. "

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
  9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That's what I'm going to do my friend, Mine still sound good but I get the faint fuzzzzz thing happening in the top two 10's. It sounds likie voids in the surround or the paper breaking down after 30 years of use. I didn't fry them for sure.

Well I'm sending the head out for a re-tube and complete go through in July, I might as well go ahead and re-cone all the drivers while I'm at it.
    Thanks guy's for all your help.

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Make sure you tell him you want *at least* 40 watt voice coils. I think he used 50s in mine. And don't be freaked out when you put them in and fire it up for the first time. It will not be as loud as it should for the first 15 or so hours of playing time, depending on how loudly you play. They take a while to break in. When they do, look out!