1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 810 speakers crackling and lighting up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dlegault, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I have a 1974 810, with 6 speakers that are completely original and 2 recones. As of late, it's been crackling and I can see light through one of the speaker surrounds. It's only one speaker that I'm noticing it from.

This cab doesn't have a horn, and the only other post I've found that references this phenomenon with an 810 didn't have a clear diagnosis, so I apologize in advance if this is a repost, or I missed something else in my search.

I tried to get video of it this morning, but it's either too dark, too bright, or my camera is too crappy to capture exactly what's going on, but I'm able to reproduce it with different speaker cables, a 1976 SVT head, an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO-II, and a GK 1001-RBII, with three different basses and three different instrument cables, all going directly into the input on each amp.

At this point, I'm pretty certain it's the cab itself. I haven't had a chance to pull the speaker - that's my next step, but I figured I'd see if anyone else had any ideas in the meantime.

I know at least one other speaker needs to have the dust cap re-glued, but I would assume that wouldn't really cause anything like this to happen?

Help?

2. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    A loose dust cap will vibrate causing all kinds of unwanted noise.

3. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    yeah. I'm less concerned with the noise than I am about the potential of something arcing inside the cab.

pulling the speaker out in about an hour, will update then.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Usually when a cabinet "lights up" it's because the protection lamp for the high range drivers is doing its job. If the cabinet has no crossover I have no clue what could be causing this.

5. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    and case closed!

a quick re solder of that joint should solve my problem :)

image-3507799873.

6. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for posting the solution.

7. +1 too many threads of probs, then the op doesn't report back
    well done

8. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    yep. just got home from the rehearsal space. re-installed it and it sounds good as new :)

thanks for the earlier suggestions!

9. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Good deal!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, that would do it ;) Awesome cab, dude...I have one from 73 my own self.

11. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I really love it. It's the one piece of gear that I've insisted on moving cross country twice with. I'll never get rid of it.

You have a fine collection, and I really enjoy reading your posts, so thanks for the kind words :)

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Really glad you got it sorted. :D