Ampeg 810e - silly question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boondog Reisbol, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Any "technical" reason why I shouldn't play
    through this fridge lying on its side?

I have some "interior design" issues
    @ home and would make my wife
    real happy if I could tip this sucker
    over on its side and tuck it under some
    shelving. :meh:
  2. If you play this on it's side you will have the coupling effect. Since a bigger area of the cab is connecting with the floor the amount of bass response will increase. Others will be here in a moment to give you a better explanation of what happens. However this should not damage you head or cab. You may just need to turn down the bass control a little bit and boost treble and mids. If you could put some absorbant material under it , it would reduce the the effect and also help protect your floor.
  3. A few years ago, I saw Sting performing live on a show (it may have been Saturday Night Live, but I can't recall). However, I specifically remember him playing with an 810 cabinet behind him, lying on it's side, and tilted upwards toward him like a monitor. It looked to be leaning on the drum riser. I always remembered that, because it's the only time I've ever seen the fridge on its side like that.
  4. Yes.

The horizontal alignment will increase the negative effects of combing. Reponse in the horizontal plane will be very ragged, resulting in hot and cold spots depending where you are located in relation to on-axis.

The ideal solution is 8 drivers standing vertically.
  5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That is true......

But in the typical live situation that will be the least of your troubles....

Go right ahead and lay it down if you want. It won't hurt anything.
  6. I would also recommend that if you are using a tube amp, not to place it on the cab to avoid having the rumble cause issues with your tube connections. Since it sounds like you are setting up a 'permanent' situation where the cab and amp stay put I don't think you would want to subject your amp to constant shaking.

Wow! I will google many terms in this response to gain clarity, but if you would not mind, could you explain:

• Combing
    • Horizontal plane being ragged
    • On-Axis

I use the same cab and would love to know that all that means.
  7. Thanks for the responses guys - much appreciated.
    I love this cab - I'm sure "my" ears won't detect much
    of a difference, just didn't want screw anything up.
  8. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have a silly question too...

What on earth is an Ampeg 810 doing under a shelf, at home???

9. The same question occured to me as well until I rememberd that my 810e camped out in a friends basement studio for over a year while I was not gigging. We had a standing 'open jam' night there on Monday evenings after the kids went to bed, so it got plenty of regular use - so it was not a complete waste of monster speakerage... A bit of overkill for the basement, though.

10. Its kind of the same thing i guess, but i play using my 2x15 on its side, no problems there :)
  11. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    P-Nut from 311 has just recently done this with SWR cabs...

I would imagine it would rumble the stage more and add to the "feel" factor. when playing on stage...
  12. I loves that rainbow grill! So cool!
  13. Line Arrays

Lobes and Nulls
  14. [​IMG]

This dude from Belgian band .Calibre has his 810s on their sides. Stacked! Note that the cabs aren't touching the stage-floor...
  15. When Delirious played here last year, then had sub bassist in their line up. He used a Ashdown ABM400 head with the Ampeg 810 on its side on the floor. He also used in ear monitors, so my guess would be the rig was there to move some air and reinforce the sound, something which having the cab on its side would probably enhance.
  16. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Would this be an ideal setup (on its side) for an outside gig on a flatbed trailer? More bass response?
  17. i've seen alot of bands use there 810s on there side, sorry i cant think of them specfically right now but i know i've seen plenty use them like that, usually when they have more then one. I'm sure its not going to do anything to the cabs

and i saw at a show pretty recently actually, the stage was super super small so the bassist had his 810e on its side with both guitarist Mesa cabs on top of his cabs on there sides with all three heads on the mesa cabs... and it sound pretty good, didnt notice any difference really.

and i could be wrong on this but the band Sunn0))) does it and they are by far the loudest band i've ever seen, and nothing happened to their amps that they have had forever.
  18. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've also seen many (signed, touring) bands do this.