1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 810e - Speaker Swap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Can you swap the speakers out of an Ampeg 810e for increased power handling and/or better upper mid to high end clarity? The catch - can you do this without going beyond the parameters of what the cab was designed to do along with avoiding phasing issues and what not? If someone has and we can all reasonably agree it's technically ALRIGHT, please let me know what speaker you used.

I recently used the Ampeg HPC cab (1500 watt 810) and felt the upper mid to higher treble clarity was muffled. However, the mids were punchy and the lows were great too.

This trails off into the next question: looking for an 810 lighter than 165lbs with more wattage capabilities than the Ampeg 810e. (Using a Mesa D800 and a 5 string). Also looking for it to be two separately wired 410's (if possible).

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck to you, my friend :D 800w is about all you can reasonably expect out of ANY 810.

3. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Jimmy M - Just the person I need to hear from! You have said the Ampeg 810e is 800 real-world watts and not some inflated number which the Hartke MIGHT be. Is that correct? What about the 810HPC or Ultra (I believe they are same crazy thing) is there a replacement speaker that works with that cab for a clearer tone?

I am 810 crazy now.........:bassist:

JimmyM likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That is correct. I do not know much about the HPC, though, except they used Eden speakers for a short while and they're beastly heavy.

5. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    So let's say I grab and Ampeg 810e off Craigslist..... If you wanted to swap speakers, what are some suitable alternatives and where can I get them? I have searched some old posts about this, but I am thinking there has to be more available to choose from now..... Funny enough, you had posted in all of these past posts.

JimmyM likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm such a nerd!

Frankly, I am not happy with any alternatives except Ampeg's own Heritage 810e speakers. Their Chinese 810e speakers sound quite good, too, but the Heritages are in another league entirely. But I haven't been impressed by recordings I've heard of the Eminence B810's in 810e's, and those are the only high power alternatives that I know of.

PaulJSmith likes this.
  7. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Not to burst anyone's bubble here,but I used an SVT head with this cabinet and
    with a flick of the Ultra Hi switch I had more treble than I ever needed.
    Could it be your head is not a good match for the cab?

d-dave likes this.
  8. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    It was my first day with the 810HPC and I bet if I fiddled with my Empress ParaEQ - the high end and clarity between 700hz and 2khz will come out more. Still trying to mess with my pedals - that might have had something to do with it. I am just arming myself with as much info as I can before I take the plunge.

9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Murphy beat me to it! The sc10 was specifically made to do what you want.

murphy and Coolhandjjl like this.
  10. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/svt810hpc.pdf

The cabinet is then loaded with heavy duty custom designed cast frame speakers. All of the speakers have edge wound aluminum voice coils. The two coaxial speakers introduce the use of Tractrix wave-guide technology for clear high frequency reproduction. The Tractrix horn is integrated into the shape of the pole piece. The design is based on a proprietary CAD program that allows us to optimize the flare of the horn for proper acoustic impedance matching and optimize the magnetic flux in the speaker gap to ensure greater efficiency.

Did you checked proper working of the coaxial speakers?

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I'd forgotten about that. Altec had great success with a similar type of driver way back when.

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    When I wanted more bright upper mid than from an 810e cab. I bought an Eden 8X10LXT and was very happy with the bright mid forward slightly honky or nasal tone these cabs where infamous for delivering.
    Power handling aside the Eden cabs are very efficient and seem to make a good job of fecking loud with only a 200 watt tube amp.:)
    The coaxial driver as by Altec and Tannoy etc. Is normally quite flat in the upper mid cut through band so perhaps the best thing still for that bright clank sound is still just 8X very agile conventional cone drivers.
    The original Ampeg CTS loaded cabs where much brighter but had quite low power handling. I understand the Heritage 8X10 is voiced more in line with the original less dull sounding Ampeg 8X10.:)X

13. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
  14. The older Ampeg 810E's had Eminence speakers stock from the factory (at least they did when we built them in St. Louis). They are 32Ω speakers, so you will either need to find replacements with the same resistance, or will need to do some creative rewiring to get the cabinet to a standard rating.

If you don't mind a cab even heavier than that one, there's always the PR-810, which were made of 18mm Russian Birch, had higher rated cast frame speakers instead of stamped, and two horn HF drivers. They are excruciatingly heavy (212 lbs), but sound great.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  15. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    TWO HUNDRED AND FIVE POUNDS! woah.

16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Mesa Traditional 810.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jury's out for me with those new speakers. Would like to hear them. After the disappointment of the B810's in the recordings I've heard, I'm quite wary but I'll keep an open mind. Not open enough to spring for them :D but I'll listen to other people's comparos.

18. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Jimmy, these don't sound like ampeg and aren't meant to.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK then, I'm out :D

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.