1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 810HPC Concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Nov 7, 2010.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Ok this is weird....my Ampeg 810HPC is farting out with distortion if the volume knob is on 6 or higher. This only happens with SVT CL, VR & SVT 2 PRO. If with an SVT 8 it works fine. Thoughts?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Comparing Volume knob position to loudness achieved between different amp models is meaningless.

Some models require turning the Master knob to 10 to reach their Max volume levels. (I'm guessing the SVT-8 is one of these) And then other amps like the VR reach their max clean-ish volume levels with the volume knob way down around the 11 o'clock position. Turn these up any higher and they just overdrive progressively more and more. (results would be fairly similar from the CL and II-pro depending on the preamp/gain knob positions)

On the other hand, I'd totally expect the 810HPC/SVT-8 pairing to remain much cleaner at high volume levels than any of the tube powered SVT's. With the high power rating of that cab I've always kinda felt it was designed for use with higher powered amps like your SVT-8, and then the 810e was a better match for the tube powered SVT's.

3. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    All of those that you say fart out at "6" are 300 watt tube heads. That probably means you are reaching the 300 watts and clipping the head into power tube distortion.

The SVT-8 has a solid state poweramp (I believe) so you aren't hearing the power tube overdrive with that one.

4. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I can go all the way to "10" on an 810E w the tube amps w no farting....

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    "farting" and "distortion" are two very different things. Are you SURE it is "farting" (= horrible noise of voice coils whacking against the magnet and destroying themselves) and not just clipping the amp (= cool heavy sound on tube and mosfet output amps and sucky noise on bipolar transistor output amps) ?

6. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    It does not sound good. It is farting out at the high volume.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1 to the above; and let me add this to the fire:
    Has this cab always done this or did it just start?
    What about EQ settings?
    Tons of low end, or the absence of mids can cause sonic problems.
    Also, active bass or outboard EQ?

8. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I really think it is the power tubes distorting. Any time I've played a 2 PRO or CL they start to break up around 6. That would also explain why it doesn't distort/fart when you use the solid state SVT-8PRO.

I don't think you could damage the 810HPC with one of Ampeg's tube heads if you tried. Isn't it rated for a crazy 1200 watts RMS? The standard 810E is hard enough to destroy, let alone the tank that's known as the HPC.

9. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Yes, not sure how the cab can't handle the VR CL & 2 PRO