1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg 8x10 and Ampeg SVT Pro 4 head ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by takeasoriginal, May 6, 2006.

1. :eyebrow: I am going to buy a new amp and head in Guitar Center, so i plan to get a Ampeg 8x10 Cab, and Ampeg head also, i am pretty sure i will get the Ampeg 8x10, but i am still struggling about the head, because my friend told me that the SVT Pro is too powerful for one 8x10 Cab, he told me to get 2, or get a SVT Pro 3, is there any advise you guys can give me, i am pretty confusing now, or what other head i can get to match the Ampeg 8 x10? such as Mesa 400? Thank you very much

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Nothing wrong with the Ampeg SVT-CL or an SVT-II pro... both of those will be well within the power limits of the cab and sound a lot better than the SVT-III pro.

3. No problem.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Tell your friend I said its only too powerful if you turn the amp up higher than the cab is rated & your brain might explode if you do that :bassist:

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    You can not blow up a 810 without making your ears bleed first. It's a little safety feature.
    Your not going to hurt it.

6. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I use the same set up, 8x10 and 4pro, and it powers the cab just fine. Your friend either doesn't know what he/she is talking about or they're doing something wrong with the set up. I don't have to turn the volume up on my head past half way to be extremely loud. I'd say go for it, but the decision is up to you.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Actually I should mention that if you scoop out all the mids and push a TON of low end on the 4 pro (the frequencies below the 810's tuning frequency), it is possible to blow the 810 at what seems to be a relatively low volume level. But it is clearly not advisable to drive any cab beyond its rated specifications.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, considering I use mine to power a single 410 cabinet, I am guessing that it'll be just fine with an 810 cabinet.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    No problem. I have played through such a rig a few times (it was backline and I never liked it too much, but it worked just fine).

10. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I've got the budget version with a 2x10 and an SVTIII... if you can swing (financially, and physically) an 8x10 with a SVT 2, and SVT CL.. what are you waiting for?? Do it!

As a back up, I would do the SVT III, as it's got better sound than the SVT4, but just less power.. enough power for me, but maybe not for you.,

11. Aye, the 810 will mostly hurt you before you hurt it! (unless like 8mm OD said your driving waaaay too much bass into it and overexcerting the cab)

12. Last August I saw Marcia Ball in an outdoor venue. Don Bennett, her bass player of 20+ years, was using an SVT Pro 4 through an Ampeg 810 and not going through the PA. The PA was HUGE. I couldn't see what the amp settings were, but Don could easily be heard in that raucous, Louisiana, r&b, boogie setting. If that's your sound and you can handle the weight and price, go for it.

13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    4 PRO and 810e will give you a very fat and clean Ampeg tone. I would suggest trying the SVT Classic in comparison to the 4 PRO. The Classic is an all tube amp and will exhibit a massive growl and punch compared to the 4 PRO's clean sounds. If you are not interested in growly tones, the 4 PRO will work well for you. If you use a Speakon cord with the 4 pro and 810e for mono-bridge use, make sure you rewire the connector on it; this is described in the manual.

If you like the SVT Classic sound, but feel you need more knobs to get your sound, go for the 2 PRO

14. I'd be more worried about throwing your back out moving that rig than anything else ;)