1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 8x10 and Hartke head okay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fmfisdead, Aug 6, 2007.

1. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey guys, I just received the 810SVT Classic bass cab but my SVT Classic head hasn't arrived yet. Basically I REALLY want to try this thing out but I only have my old Hartke 4000 head. Not sure if you're familiar with the specs but I just wanna make sure that the cab will be okay if I play it through the hartke head since it has such a vast difference in wattage. Thanks a lot guys.

2. The Ampeg 8x10 could handle virtually any standard amp head on the market. Its rated at what, 1000watts?

If your worried about underpowering, fear not, its a myth. Probably the most asked about myth on talkbass. The rating given to each cabinet is a reccomendation for the maximum number of watts you can pump into that cab and not overload the speakers. There is no such thing as underpowering a cab.

3. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    So all in all my cab should be completely fine? Yeah they definitely told me my 600 watt cab was underpowering my head and thats what was giving me not enough loudness/sound desired. So thats all bs huh?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, you can't get more output than your head can provide regardless of what your cab is rated for (max), but it won't hurt anything (assuming your head isn't clipping).

5. What's the vast difference in wattage? Aren't we talking 400W for the Hartke vs 300W for the SVT-CL?

Ken.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    As long as your head isn't rated at an 8ohm minimum. If it can handle a 4ohm load or greater you are fine.

7. Don't take it as though they lied. Because more than likely, they didn't intend to. Sad fact of the matter is most musical store workers know less about whatever they're talking about than 90% of TalkBassers. This website offers a wealth of knowledge on these subjects.

And even though they were wrong, I promise you, you wasted know money. The Ampeg 8x10 is a great cabinet, the look to cabinet in the rock world.

But maybe the store ment that by switching to a 4ohm cabinet you'd get more watts out of the Hartke? Many amps run on this system...

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Wait a second, I am reading that the Hartke 4000 head is rated at 400W at 4 ohms. That is 100W more powerful than the SVT-CL. :D

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin

Which isn't even a precievable difference in volume... but then again the SVT-CL is all tube... :D

To the OP:

You'll be fine with the Hartke, don't wait... plug it in and enjoy your new fridge!!!!

Peace

-Benny

10. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    Nah I just meant that the Hartke head is 400 watts and the speaker is 1600. I was worried that the head had a low power level would somehow mess up the cab. Someone threw that idea out and it started to freak me out so I decided I would ask you guys to make sure.

Right now I'm using the Hartke 4000 until the SVT CL gets here. So basically the fridge came in before the head. So far it sounds worlds better even with just the 4000, I can't imagine how it will sound with the CL....Thanks guys!

11. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    It's all good. That's what's awesome about TB... the members will expell any sort of mystery from the equation and just give you real facts.

If that was the case then how would those people running the V-4's get away with it running through their fridge?

Have fun with your new cab.

Hows the wait treating you for the head?

Peace

-Benny

12. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    I gotta say the wait has been horrible. When I first ordered everything they told me it would be a matter of days to receive it, and a month and a half later here I am just getting the cabinet. I still have to wait for the head, but I guess I'm happy the fridge is at least here and it should probably be worth the wait.

What are the v-4s you're talking about, link please?

13. This is what you were talking about? I thought you were referencing the difference in Watts that the heads puts out and the watts that the cab is rated for.

Ignore my posts:D :ninja:

14. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

The V-4B is a 100W tube head that Ampeg used to make...a lot of people used them with an 8x10 cabinet, but they were originally sold with a folded 2x15. The 1972 catalog stated the V-4B could be used with two B-25B cabinets (2x15 front loaded), two V-4B cabinets (2x15 folded horn), or two B-15S cabinets (1x15 portaflex). Saetia's point is that if you could "underpower" a cabinet, the measly 100W rating of the V-4B wouldn't work with the above cabinets.

SLM made a V-4BH that was discontinued not too long ago...but again, it was a 100W amp.

[Note: some documentation notes the V-4B as 120W.]

15. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    you can damage (warp) drivers, esp smaller ones, by underpowering them. something to do with the coil scraping the magnet. it produces a farty sound

this typically happens in situations where a setup is not biamped when it should be

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Totally wrong info. Don't know where you get such nonsense.

Putting one single watt into a speaker rated at 1000 watts will do it no harm whatsoever.

17. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    I gotta say that it seems logical that underpowering wouldn't really be real. I don't know much but it kinda just makes sense and I never understood the whole underpowering thing. Especially since I ran my HA 4000 at 200 watts with a 600 watt speaker for 6 years and never saw anything harmed.

18. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    someone who was a marshall tucker band tech for a decade?

its not common, but it happens. proof it doesnt?

19. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin

Isn't it feasible tog et 120 watts out of it when being pushed? Surely it'd be overdriving, but you'd be pulling more watts then rated right?

Peace

-Benny