Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10 and SVT350?? DOES IT WORK!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Countless times I've seen this setup. I've seen them sold together on ebay, in stores, many places.
    Does it work?
    well? or do people just do it?

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The head puts out the full 350 watts to that cab, so it should be fine. As for the tone, I couldn't say. A friend of mine had one which he used with an Ampeg 410+115. It was quite a few years ago, so I can't say much about it, but I don't think it sounded bad at all. I'd probably go with that newer SVT-1000 if you're looking for [Edit:]SS amps in that sort of enclosure, though. Otherwise, go with the SVT 3, 4, or 5.

3. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Sure it'll work, but it'll sound like garbage. Anything SS with the name Ampeg on it, stay away from it. If you want SS, go with something nice like SWR. Ampeg = rock/gritty SS = not rock. Hope that helps

Now an SVT-CL with an 810. Now that's another story :D

4. Ummm....if you like the sound of the head, then go for it. The SVT-350 should get pretty loud driving an 810.

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I had an SVT-350(through a 6x10) for a little while. Loved the tone when I soloed it,but as soon as I played it in a band setting I dumped it. Not enough volume.

6. SVT350 = garbage. I've seen them used all over the place, and honestly, the only reason I can come up with is that some bassists were told that Ampeg is the cream of the crop and found one for cheap. I've used a couple, in a gig setting because my rig was too big to move with the vehicle I had, and couldnt find one redeeming quality. EQ did virtually nothing, the volume was incredibly low and if I turned up to an acceptable stage volume alone I would get all sorts of clippage and distortion. +1 on whoever said stay away from Ampeg SS. If you want ampeg, you gotta go for an all tube. Those are pretty sweet indeed, but if you want SS, try out Genz Benz, GK, or SWR. You'll get more power and better tone.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Heed that warning. 810 cabs make you really loud, but 350Watts just isnt that much. Look into something that will give you 500-1000Watts. You might have to stray some Ampeg, if you want a head that will give you that. Or you can go pre-power with an Ampeg pre.

I guess its all your choice. The 350 sounds really nice... but dont sound on it being your last stop in the search for your dream rig.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1

Or 300 W of pure all-tube sound (i.e. SVT-CL or SVT-2PRO).

9. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Actually, right after I dumped the SVT-350, I got an SVP-Pro and an RMX-850. Great rig.

10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    What?

Say again?

Let me me adjust my hearing aid...

Okay, gotcha!

:D

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If I am going to lug an 8x10 around then it's going to get at least 800 watts. I used to run two 8x10's with a 4x10 sitting on top of each one. Ran 4 bridged 800 watt power amps at about 2/3 power. Never blew a speaker. The 350 watt head would work, but those cabs put out best with more power. ;)

12. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I ran the svt350 + 810 setup for a good year, and tone-wise, its not bad. But you will get completely lost in the mix volume-wise.
    For the money, you'd be better off getting a V4B, the tube amps cut through a mix better I find.

If you want SS and ampeg, the 3pro, 4pro, and 5pro all work great on an 810, though the 3pro is still a little quiet.

I switched to a 5pro on my 810 after my 350 and it was awesome for playing rock and punk stuff, but thats about all.

13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The V4BH might work if it has a pre-amp out jack that you can plug into a PLX3002, otherwise forget it.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've read all the posts relating to the B-2R/SVT-350H (same amp, different package) powering various cabs, but the hard technical info is lacking and the answers all seem to go off on the typical tangents.

Here are my two questions, in order of importance. I would be grateful if someone from Ampeg or anyone with a good grasp of the engineering involved would set me straight, as I have never gotten a clear answer on this issue anywhere:

1: If this amp (nominal output of 350WRMS at four Ohms) is powering one of the SVT 8x10" (nominal capacity of 800 WRMS) cabs at four Ohms, will it be less efficient in terms of volume than if powering an Ampeg 4x10" cab with the same drivers (nominal capacity of 400 WRMS) at four Ohms, or more efficient in terms of volume? Does one lose volume with the larger 8x10" cab over the 4x10" or gain it? People have told me both, but only one can be correct.

2: I've read a great many assertions that this amp is nowhere near 350W in output, very underpowered, etc., etc. Is there any factual basis for this or is it just received ignorance? If this is not true, what misuse or misunderstanding accounts for the complaints?

I bought a new SVT-350H a couple of years ago on sale for near-nothing ($289.99), and have never actually used it, as I didn't have an appropriate cab and had other bass gear I was using instead. I'm now shopping around for a cab for it, and the most inexpensive and common used option locally seems to be the various SVT-810s. I'd prefer an SVT-215E, which is a more appropriate match, but these are rare. Because of the very good prices I'm seeing ($300-$450, depending on age & cosmetic condition), I'd go with an SVT-810 if I was sure that it wasn't reducing an already marginal (?) volume output from the head.

Many thanks for any clear, solid answers to these questions!

15. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    While my amp has been in the shop I've been borrowing a friends 350H into my 8x10. It's............ ok. It's a cheap amp and you can tell. If you want pretty decent volume in a starter head, it's a good way to go. It's really big which is quite pointless as it is obviously the same amp as the much smaller rack-mountable B2R. The 350/H was made for people who like to think they have the tube SVT but can't afford it. My suggestion: stay away from it if you like the Ampeg sound, because you won't get an SVT tone out of this amp, unfortunately.

16. i disagree. any amp can put out a rock tone, ss included.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Will this work? Yes. Will it sound good? In my humble opinion, no.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    [Crickets chirping...]

19. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    With everything else being equal, more speaker area = more volume. The 810 is loud, either way. :)

I don't know. I'm sure the info is somewhere on these boards. You could always PM TBer Jerrold Tiers, who works for Ampeg.