Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10 classic vs. 4x10 & 1X18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SHIFTGREEN, Nov 11, 2002.

1. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Hi, I started playing in 2 bands, and right now Im using a friends Henry 8X8 at one place, and at the other place I'm using a Goliath lll 4X10, but I really want my own rig, and Mars is going out of buisness, so for christmas im telling my dad what to get so it will be the right thing, im considering the workingmans 8X10 (800 watts rms) or the Ampeg 8X10 SVT classic (800 watts rms) ..now im wandering, if a goliath lll 4X10(700 watts rms) and a big ben 1X18 (400watts rms) will have more of a punch and deeper sound, since so many people are talking about it... if anyone knows whats better, b/c im going for a nice deep and powerful sound that will be able to hand slapping the b-string or e-string with no distortion or anything.. im still new at understanding the differences between bass amps so forgive me if my use of words dont make much since.. any help will be awesome
    thanks, chris

2. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I personally would not hesitate to use an 8x10 for the application you describe. That said, a pair of cabs might be easier to move around (move up and down stairs, anyway), whether that pair consists of 4x10/1x18 or 4x10/4x10.

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Of these combinations, the SWR Goliath III 4x10 + Big Ben 1x18 will give you the most low end overall. If you want a solid low "b" you're looking for good frequency response in the 30hz area and the 8x10's you listed all roll off quite a bit above that. However, be aware that a single Big Ben is probably not going to keep up with the Goliath if you push them hard - you can probably get plenty of sound out of this setup, but the wattage limits and the efficiency of the goliath are a lot higher, so the Big Ben cannot produce the same volume if both are fed their maximum wattage.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    The only problem with the AMpeg 8x10 is moving it - it doesn't fit well in cars and it is quite heavy.

6. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    yeah, thanks for the replys..im leaving whatever I get at one location, so I wont have to haul around, unless we travel, thats why im considering the 8x10..the reason I want the 810 is b/c mars is going out of buisness, so I can get the swr workingman 810 for 650.00 brand new....30 % off, from 900.00, and the list is 1299.00 so i'm saving big money..but like I said before I am using a Henry 8x8, and a goliath 3, both sound awesome..I would rather have 2 goliath's or a megoliath, but thats too much $ and I dont think I need something that high end, im still considering the Workingman tower 8x10, the ampeg classic has unfortunatly been sold ..so hopefully the Swr's will last a little longer, or atleast till my dad gets paid.. :)

7. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I have an eden 4x10 and 1x18 and love this combination. The 18 really moves the air a ton, resulting in you really feeling the low end! To me it also rounds out the sound.

Good luck.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    It seems like the Ampeg 810 would be idea for your situation - nice and punchy, full. To me the low end of an 18" is just too slow to speak for most kinds of music. That's just me though.

Did you play them both yet? Which did you like better?

9. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    yes I played both the ampeg and workingman, if thats hat your were referring too....if you mean did I play both goliath and henry then yes to that also, thast what im using now, but they are not mine...I havent had the chance to crank up the goliath as loud as the henry, the henry does get seriously loud though, suprising for just 8" speakers, but it can only handle 480 rms watts at 4ohms while the workingman 810 can handle 800 watts rms at 4ohms..... also I sort of like the workingman better, than the ampeg classic, when i struck the b-string on the 12th fret it carried way better than the ampeg, but it could also have been the amp head i was playing through, which was a workingman 4004 i think... i just wander if i could swap out the black grill lfor a chrome grill such as the megoliath..chrome looks way better than black in my opinion..
    chris