Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10 classic vs. Mesa powerhouse 1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Mar 28, 2004.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    anyone ever compared these two cabs? if so how do they compare in tone and volume?

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I did with my mesa m 2000.
    Ampeg 8x10 vs Mesa Road Ready with EV speakers.

The mesa sounds better than the 8x10 but it's different.
    The 1x15 give more guts and bass than the ampeg. The sound is tighter and rounder. More accurate but the 8x10 has a nice tone.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am still mental about this subject. I have the P1000 deisel and re covered it with carpet. I also modded it by closing off the two chambers that separate the 2-10 from the 15, making them sealed compartments. The 15 was replaced because the EV was a little loose. I still can use the 15 in another cab, s instead of reconing, I just bought a Kappa Pro 15. I think I kinda have the best of both worlds because the Mesa is all VF birch plywood, and built better. But an Ampeg 8-10 has a special MoJo sound. I also use it with a Mesa 400+ so it is a matched setup. :meh:

4. Rockbobmel

Arrrrggggggggg. I forgot

5. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    forgot what?

btw, how does your powerhouse 1000 sound compared to your mesa 2x15?

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I have the ampeg 8-10 and it is much warmer then the mesa IMHO. :D The only cab i ever have blown was a mesa...sorry but true. The 8-10 I have had for five years and it has preformed perfectly. The only problem is finding roadies to move it around ;) . I have never had problems cutting throught the mix with the 8-10. Just keep freash tubes in the Svt and we are good to go. :bassist:

7. Rockbobmel

Andrew, I was expecting to get rid of the P1000, but when I tried the 2-15RR alone, It was not as full or deep sounding. The 4-10s in myP1000 cab are deeper and richer sounding than the 1-15. If I had the Mesa 8-10, I definately would seal it up. I have not tried the two together, but they sound different and would compliment each other.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Is the Mesa 1000 a straight forward 4 Ohm cab or is it bi-amp capable? (Seperate input for 4x10 and 1x15)

9. Rockbobmel

BOTH... It has three inputs. I am trying to find out if they are isolated or not when used separately...

10. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I had a Mesa cab (can't remember the name...but it was a 1-15", 1-10", 2-6" and a horn) and an Ampeg SVT 810 at the same time. I have to say the Ampeg sounded better than the Mesa in every way. The Mesa didn't sound bad...the Ampeg just sounded better.

Both cabs were pushed with a Mesa Buster Bass 200 head.

I like Mesa poweramps, but not particularly their cabs. Ampeg is all good. I want to try some Aguilar stuff, but my wife doesn't let me spend money on my bass stuff anymore... :bawl:

;)

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well, I am looking at a Mesa 1000 Road-Ready cab (4x10, 1x15) that I may be able to get pretty cheap...I love the fact that it's got that compliment of speakers in it AND it's built into a really tough looking case... we shall see.......just gotta make sure I can run it stereo.

12. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Razor, if you don't buy that RR mesa cab, could you give me the heads up? I have been looking for a Road Ready version for a while now.

Thanks, Dave